New to the GW, overheating question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elementfe

Reaction score
Hi, Took my GW for a first ride, spent most of it in a parking lot doing figure 8s, u turns, and so on, just getting comfortable with the handling.
Odd, though, for a water cooled bike- it got pretty hot during a couple 40 minute sessions. Outside temp probably wasn't over 75.
I was slipping the clutch a lot, going for slow speed and control.
Is this a feature, or something I should have looked at?
Thanks for any input,
Andy G
Guemes Island, WA

What do you consider running hot? Temp in the red zone - check fan fuse, switch, and that the fan runs. Overflowing the reservoir tank? Thermostat, coolant, fan. Fan turning on? That's what it is supposed to do! Particularly at parking lot speeds. Another time it is common to have the fan come on is if you run for a while at normal speed, then come to a stop several times in traffic - air is no longer going through t he radiator removing the heat built up in the block. My fan often runs when I pull u to the house, turn it off, then turn it back on after a few minutes. I will generally let the fan run for about five minutes than start the engine to let the cooled fluid in the radiator a chance to circulate. DOn't know if that is a good thing to do or not but it makes me feel good.

Thanks for the replies, the fan isn't coming on.
Shouldn't be too hard to work through that one.
I might put a manual switch on it for now.

elementfe":thfh3s8p said:
Thanks for the replies, the fan isn't coming on.
Shouldn't be too hard to work through that one.
I might put a manual switch on it for now.
I've seen some where either the plug wasn't seated on the switch, or the contacts needed cleaning.

Manual override is a plus. My 81 temp switch stopped working for a couple of years and is now back working. I like the manual switch so that if you are in heavy traffic/slow manoeuvres you can have the fan running all the time.

I have both my 1200's wired with a manual over ride switch just to turn it on if I want to or if the temp is climbing too high and the fan hasn't turned on. I also installed an indicator light to show when the fan is running. It's odd, just as I am getting ready to throw the switch, the light usually comes on by itself.

I'm pretty new to the forums, and haven't been able to find a tutorial for a manual override switch on a 1100 interstate. It's probably right in front of my face... Does anybody know right where it is?

The switch on the block just completes the ground of the circuit. Just put a toggle switch in place and wire it to that connector.

Latest posts