Newbe

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah heres my bike

Attachments

• 8997.jpeg
    8997.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 8996.jpeg
    8996.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 0
Welcome! There is an active vintage motorcycle group that gathers weekly at Twisters diner at the intersection of Central and Quincy in Knoxville. Monthly meetings, several vintage-friendly rides, a couple shows we participate in. There will be a motorcycle show at Lighthouse Christian Church Oct 1st 9am-2pm. All Free, no classes just bring it and show or look at the others.
Thunder Roads ad.jpg
Map1a.jpg

That's not an example that's actually the bike I'm restoring here is some before after pics

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_185338462_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220815_185338462_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220526_190927386.jpg
    IMG_20220526_190927386.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220419_195017063.jpg
    IMG_20220419_195017063.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi names Derrick from Tennessee and I love antique motorcycls I restore antique Hondas and decided I wanted to take a shot at a 76 gl1000 scrambler conversion so howdie everyone
Welcome, I'm new myself.

Welcome! There is an active vintage motorcycle group that gathers weekly at Twisters diner at the intersection of Central and Quincy in Knoxville. Monthly meetings, several vintage-friendly rides, a couple shows we participate in. There will be a motorcycle show at Lighthouse Christian Church Oct 1st 9am-2pm. All Free, no classes just bring it and show or look at the others.
View attachment 48672View attachment 48673
So will you be here

Nathan. Old, grey, will be running around in a panic most of the time, probably. This is our fourth show. I'll probably have a green GL1000 kind of cafe racer style there.

Hi Derrick - Welcome! Name's Robert but have always been tagged with Stockie! Yur '75 looks really good. I've been thinking about a GL 1100 '77 that's been shopped for over 20 yrs. Don't know backstory but should be interesting. Pics I've seen show basically no dings or dents on tank or on both sides of Wind Jammer ll faring . Chap sent along a vid and audio. Sounds like no misses on acceleration and runs very evenly on return trip. Heard that older models in the 70's came with a kick start. Do you have on your '75 GL? Any chance you may have a reverse lever as well? Haven't got down to brass tacks with the seller as am undecided as to seals and other rubber parts that are aged over 40 yrs. No $$ on the table yet and to look over will take a days travel there and back dragging my trailer. Kick start would be good to have but for me @ about 140 lbs and short height - the reverse lever on the '77 would be "gold" Tks in advance

Hi Derrick - Welcome! Name's Robert but have always been tagged with Stockie! Yur '75 looks really good. I've been thinking about a GL 1100 '77 that's been shopped for over 20 yrs. Don't know backstory but should be interesting. Pics I've seen show basically no dings or dents on tank or on both sides of Wind Jammer ll faring . Chap sent along a vid and audio. Sounds like no misses on acceleration and runs very evenly on return trip. Heard that older models in the 70's came with a kick start. Do you have on your '75 GL? Any chance you may have a reverse lever as well? Haven't got down to brass tacks with the seller as am undecided as to seals and other rubber parts that are aged over 40 yrs. No $$ on the table yet and to look over will take a days travel there and back dragging my trailer. Kick start would be good to have but for me @ about 140 lbs and short height - the reverse lever on the '77 would be "gold" Tks in advance
My 76 has a Kickstart the biggest thing on these bikes are the carb boots but if they are in bad shape you can replace them I can't remember if the 1100 they're removable or not but the 1,000 they're not and you have to cut them off but you can replace them with GL 1500 carb boots I have successfully been able to do this with time and patience carburetors on these GL models can be very picky but they're not as hard to rebuild as everybody makes it sound just requires a lot of measuring on the floats if you do rebuild it get a good quality rebuild kit and make sure you get plenum gaskets too a lot of problems come from the gaskets on the plenum I wouldn't worry about oil leaks everything's pretty simple even if you have to do a head gasket repair it's not that hard I absolutely love these old bikes as for the reverse lever there's no such thing on a 1000 the kick start on a 1000 is removable it just kind of sticks in this little hole or move it when finished they're not that hard to Kickstart either but with it being said in 20 years as you say I don't think I would take it on a long journey I would probably trailer it just to make sure

Latest posts