OEM fan switch fix (and other options)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130606#p130606:b04479fw said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:34 am[/url]":b04479fw]
Nice trick if it continues to work. Still if I got one open I'd most likely put in some dielectric grease. Just in hopes it would keep it working.

Agreed, but I just don't have any dielectric grease ATM. I'm just going to try it this way as a test to see how long it keeps working. I could have put in some light oil, or mmo, but im not sure that's better than nothing at all.

I think with my single carb setup I can take it out and clean and grease it later if/when it stops working without tearing the bike apart. The single carb gives me a little extra room to get at it later so aside from draining coolant it should be no big deal.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138125#p138125:33uvponn said:
bill55 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:31 pm[/url]":33uvponn]
Can this same fix be done on the single prong temperature sensor?
If you are talking the sending unit for temp gauge I don't think anyone has tried. The fan switch works a little differently.

No
The fan switch is a disassemblable unit where a temp sensor is sealed and their are no repairable items in it, also they are cheap to buy new.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. My temp gauge stopped working but I didn't get a chance to check it out yet. Thanks again.
Bill

If I have time this weekend I"m gonna pull the fan switch on my bike and check it, the switch functioned for the first couple of weeks after I bought my bike but then stopped, bypassed the switch to verify the fan worked so its definitely the switch. And since the dealer wants $130 for a new one, refurbish is the plan.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19164#p19164:2hfxmi7o said:
littlebeaver » 2010-12-28- 0:50[/url]":2hfxmi7o]
Here's a way you can repair your oem fan switch to make it work like new again.
Hold the stem then unscrew the cap with another plier.

If you find some gunk under the cap you will then know it was stopping movement..All that shaft and under that cap needs to be clean..Test it and smile..

Be sure you use locktite on the threads before you button it up and let dry well before testing it.. It should work now.. :grin: Or you can brake down and buy yourself a new one..But at 50 bucks or maybe a hundred for a oem you might want to at least try this method first.. :grin: I have a aftermarket fan switch on mine now, Oh, I have a geo metro set up but I have a direct plugin for the oem rubber plug ..I made it special.. :smilie_happy:

My GL started to get hot after a hard ride and s short stop to talk to a friend. I felt th heat, checked the temp gauge and bolted for the house. I did ride a few blocks first to run come cooler air theough the radiator, and parked it when the temp was right.

I read this take-it-apart idea and tried that, but could not get it apart. Then I realized that the sensor worked, obviously, because it reported the high temperature. So I looked up above the fan and sure enough it was unplugged. I rigged a wire pair to the battery and the fan and the fan also worked, so since I had done all this unnecessary work, I went to Autozone and bought an on/off switch and wired it between the sensor and the fan. GREAT IDEA, whoever posted that.

Incidentally, I just bought my GL for $2000. It was not as pretty as the sellers photos suggested :) Parts laid out on the driveway, fenders removed or CUT for that "bobber look". No frigging centerstand. ??? Cheal and ill-fitting aftermarket mufflers, bald tires, no headlight or turn signal lamps. A mess. But she cranked and ran, badly, but she ran.

I have had a couple of weeks to work on her and I must say that she is beautiful. I just stand in my garage and stare at her. Blue one, and the PO did include a matching Windjammer SS in excellent condition.

Just a little story. Not hijacking, just sharing my second GL experience. My first one was in 1978, when a stumbled across a Yellow one at a Yahamha shop. I was there to buy a 250cc trail bike and left there on that gorgeous dream machine. I was 19. The GL is a magnificient machine. A true work of art.