Oil leak 101!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Maybe someone will know the answer in here. Got the old girl to FINALLY roll and ride after a new slave and master on the clutch but developed a LOVELY oil leak right at the left lower side where the engine guard mounts to the frame. Before I go dismantling the machine again, is there a seal somewhere on this bolt or does it go through the entire block?
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0531.JPG

Oil filter housing [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

I'm asked to check cars for oil leaks every single day. You would be surprised how many oil leaks are dripping from the engine and trans. bolts that they aren't leaking from, lol! Most are leaking from bad oil filter gaskets and drain plug gaskets. The oil change "quikee lubes" will leave filter loose, but slam home the drain plug with a 3/8 air gun. Occasionally I get a drain plug that the aluminum gasket is wrapped around the head of the bolt from being over-torqued so much!

Always use new O-Rings and Plug gaskets when changing oil & filters, to prevent leaks, and to prevent straining and pulling out drain hole threads - I've seen many a Honda bike, car, and SUV damaged like that. The car oil pans are usually beefy enough to helicoil the drain hole, but the majority of the bikes will have cracked the hole clear to the outside!

It just needs to be tightened down which I’ll do in the morning....nothing serious thank god. Going down to a good friend of mine in South Georgia tomorrow to have the final touches and she will be back on the road. Just need to get the carbs sync’d and a few minor details then I’m done with this old girl and can get moving back on two wheels!

Latest posts