OIL LEAK 83 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody goss

Reaction score
HAVE OIL LEAKING OUT OF BREATHER HOLE IN WATER PUMP.
DEALER SAYS OIL SEAL IS PART OF THE WATER PUMP AND HAVE TO REPLACE WHOLE PUMP. IS THIS TRUE?

You may not need to replace the pump, check it first by removing the front pump cover and see if you can wiggle the impeller blades. If so then the pump bearing is shot and its time for a new pump or rebuild the old one.

If your only leaking oil out the weep hole replacing the orings may fix the problem but once your in there it makes sense to replace the pump.
When those pump seals wear out there is a chance of cross contamination (water in oil or vise versa) so watch out for that.
Antifreeze will quickly ruin main bearing journals.

I have a small oil leak from the same hole. My plan is to replace the water pump while I have the front cover off. No sense in doing it twice, even tho my water pump doesn't seem to have any issues at this time. With MY luck, if I do not replace it at the same time, it will take a dump shorty afterward.. :Awe:

On another forum there is a post about replacing the water pump seal. This was attempted because the pump itself appeared OK, the seal replacement worked with much work involved, however later he had to replace the entire pump anyway. His own moral to the story is this, if you are going to spend the time to get into it "replace it".

Latest posts