Oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '81 has leaked a little for years now. I generally only do 2-3,000 miles per season and add 1-2 qts in the process. The last several weeks, this has accelerated. I started smelling oil when I came off the highway, which I found on the front of the right exhaust pipe. I'm now adding 1/2 pt. every 100 miles. I'm not as much of a mechanic as most of you; I ride this old bike, not to work on it, but because I don't need to work on it (much). The oil filter cup is chromed aftermarket, I'm wondering if stock might be better. Anything else low, forward, and right that I can look at? If this needs engine removal to resolve, I may get out of it. Thanx, Dave

First off, clean everything so that you can see where the leak is from.
It could be as you say, or the front transmission cover gasket (that can be changed with engine in bike), but first check your rocker box seal and perhaps even the rocker box bolt seals.

I had an ‘81 1100 with a aftermarket chrome oil filter housing and I pulled it off and changed back to original. The chrome ones do not have a lip to seal the o-ring correctly and they leak if overnighted.

I believe it is the same housing. You will also need the mounting bolt. I do not remember if the chrome housing used the original bolt. Also, be sure you have the spring and washer that is inside.

Had some time this afternoon (jury duty, no work) and degreased the engine, then ran. Oil leaking from the filter housing bolt. Thank you for your support.
1634118931933.png

I threw out the one I had. I was going to sell it, but determined it would be wrong for me to pass on a part that would cause a serious issue for someone else.

I had an ‘81 1100 with a aftermarket chrome oil filter housing and I pulled it off and changed back to original. The chrome ones do not have a lip to seal the o-ring correctly and they leak if overnighted.
I have an '82 chromed oil filter housing that never leaked.

Chrome flaked off horribly, but it never leaked. I think it's sitting on the shelf still, so I could go out to the garage and look if anyone is interested, but I recall there was a groove or lip for the o-ring.

I once had a customer who thought it was a good idea to have the fuel tank of his Honda Magna chromed. He was really thrilled and pleased with how "unique" it looked. That is, until after riding for 20 minutes the 1st sunny day after getting this done. He came back in after sanding it down and having it repainted to the original color, saying the chrome did nothing but blind him the whole time he was on it. Live & learn I suppose, lol!

Received my used, stock replacement Friday. Installed Saturday and no leak. Used chrome filter housing and bolt available for the cost of shipping. ;)
Well Dave, lots of folks run those Randakk Oil Filter adapters with chrome filters with no problems. I have one on a GL1100 83 Aspencade and a CB750 and have never had a leak. The bolt is internal and not exposed so I am trying to understand your problem, but, looks like you went back to stock. Stock works well, but, for me I wanted a spin on filter without all the fuss and mess of the internal filter. That and the damn bolts kept stripping out the nut head likely due to shit craftmanship. Anyway, I also use a non chrome filter from Napa and have never had a single issue as long as the adapter plate does not have oil on the O-ring but does lubricate the oil ring of the filter. Good Luck buddy.

There may be more than one aftermarket chrome housing. This had a thru-bolt, like stock, but the container would "collapse" if torqued too hard. I gritted my teeth and threw it out. (except for the internal spring)

Here is the aftermarket chrome filter housing I removed from our '81. You can see how there is no lip on the inside to retain the o-ring. I tossed it!

Attachments

• Chrome Oil Filter Housing 001.jpg
    Chrome Oil Filter Housing 001.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Chrome Oil Filter Housing 002.jpg
    Chrome Oil Filter Housing 002.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 96