Oil or coolant leaking from the weep hole?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
If you ever see coolant or oil on the ground you might have a leaking water pump seal.

First check for cross contamination into the oil.
The oil will look alot like chocolate if antifreeze has been getting into the crankcase.
If so then dont run it, antifreeze will destroy the main bearings fast.

If you've just purchased the bike, I suggest to go thru the entire front end of the engine when replacing the water pump to get it over with and it's alot easier done now after removing everything.

Replace Hoses,
replace timing belts (very important)
thermostat (test opening and closing temps)
And of course water pump and seals
Anything else you see questionable

When doing the water pump, plan to pull the radiator all the way off.
This makes changing the timing belts and water pump ALOT easier.
Oh, on a fully dressed 1100 you'll need to remove the horns and bend the mounting tabs up to get the top of the radiator off the studs and out.

Most important when installing the pump in the front cover is to make certain the recess the pump slides into is absolutely clean and burr free.
First dry fit the pump without the Orings on to make sure it will go all the way into place.
When installing the pump, smear a thin coat of Vaselline on the Orings to aid them sliding in. The objective hear is to take good care of the Orings because a tiny nick in them will result in oil or coolant leaking from the weep hole or cross contamination.

There is a coolant passage which runs thru the engine at the front cover up to the thermostat housing. Make sure that passage is clear and not corroded, it's a rather small passage but very important. It allows circulation of coolant inside the engine before the thermostat opens!

Under the front cover there are 2 sleeves with Orings on them, they fall out sometimes so take care not to loose them.

A manual is a must. The Honda shop manual can be downloaded from Here

I like to take pictures.

Have fun with it, if you need any help along the way just ask.

No coolant leaking from there, but I do have engine oil leaking thru there. Fixing that is one of my "winter" projects. :builder:

Oil out the weep hole is also a sign for a defective pump.Mine would lose about a teaspoon on the garage floor after I parked it hot.No water came out.I pulled the front cover and much to my suprise the front bearing on the water pump was GONE! I could move the impeller back and forth a half inch! It(the impeller) also left DEEP groves in the cover that sits on top of the pump! But it never ran hot or anything;in fact I rode it like this for a month putting about 2000 miles it not knowing that anything was wrong. SO,when in doubt,pull the front cover and take a look............

Latest posts