Oil pump screen

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
Does anybody ever clean the oil pump pickup screen the one behind the engine mount bolt that's right below the fuel pump just curious if I should or not is it general maintenance?

I cleaned the one on my '81 while I had the engine out. With around 70,000 miles at the time, the screen was clean. I guess it would depend on the service history of the bike as far as oil changes go. If the oil comes out gunky, it might be worth the effort to take the screen out to check. Be warned, tho...it won't come out easily with the engine in the frame.

This bike has l
I cleaned the one on my '81 while I had the engine out. With around 70,000 miles at the time, the screen was clean. I guess it would depend on the service history of the bike as far as oil changes go. If the oil comes out gunky, it might be worth the effort to take the screen out to check. Be warned, tho...it won't come out easily with the engine in the frame.
This bike has less than 28k on it that's why I was wondering if it was worth the trouble 3 of the screws are easy to get too but that one behind the engine bolt looks rough any suggestions?