Old Gold - New to Classic Gold Wings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillybilly13

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1979 Honda GL1000 modified as a naked tourer with saddle fuel tanks, Corbin seat, Lester & GL1100 cast wheels.
1976 Honda GL1000 LTD, original condition with < 12,000 miles.
I've visited quite a few times to explore the various posts about Goldwings. I've owned only Hondas and couldn't avoid my addiction to Goldwings when I loved riding my green '72 CL500, but couldn’t resist trading it for a friend’s black '79 GL1000 which was in great shape. This fast bike has taken me through the Colorado highways and mountain passes for many years...and I've loved the weight and size of it, but had to install a windshield and a pair of soft bags to make the touring more enjoyable. Below, you'll see my old '79 parked up on Independence Pass, in the Colorado Rockies.
Several years ago, I searched for and located a very rare, gorgeous 1976 GL1000 LTD in near-perfect condition. I couldn't get over how Honda honored America's 200th anniversary by hand-building and send 2000 of these unique 1976 Goldwing LTDs to U.S. Honda motorcycle dealers late in 1975 to help us celebrate our 200 years as a nation. I’m keeping her as an original collector that I ride occasionally and to stare at nearly everyday!
As you'll notice in the LTD photo, I have a Corbin seat (which I loved enough to install on both bikes, as well as a windshield).
Recently, I've been in the process of customizing my '79 by installing Kuryakyn LED bullet turn signal lights and a Kuryakyn LED taillight/license assembly. I've left a single clue by showing a photo of the front wheel with a custom, steel fender (not yet painted), along with cast wheels. I'll soon be rebuilding the carbs, and tuning her up by this Spring to begin riding my unique, one-of-a-kind Goldwing. But this post is for another day!
So, here I am...finally posting as a member of this tribe!

Bill

Attachments

• 79Goldwing2010IndependencePassTrip.jpeg
    79Goldwing2010IndependencePassTrip.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1976 GL LTD.jpg
    My 1976 GL LTD.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200526_210436.jpg
    20200526_210436.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, IMHO, the '79s were the most refined and trouble-free of the GL1000s. If you crawl under it, you might notice extras gussets that were added to the cross-bar that mounts the center stand pivot. I only sold my '79 to make room for more projects. Welcome, and enjoy.

Latest posts