Omega thread... 1-29-2018 test ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bad place with the 1500. I feel locked up like I used to during bad money times.

I'm asking for help in this new thread. Having lost most of the confidence this forum gave me over the years. I'm going to ask very stupid questions, stuff you would think I should know. I'm going to go very slowly and at times it will probably feel like you are spoon feeding me, and there will be times I just don't understand what you are telling me. Hell it might not be that bad but that is where my head is at.

I know Classic can help me, with a quick look at the GL1100 valve adjustment tutorial I could do the valves on YOUR bike and you would be happy with the job. I learned that HERE!!!!

So I'm not going back to the other thread, we are starting HERE...

This is what I remember, from the day I first noticed the problem...

1. The Bike was lower on gas than I ever let it get, but it did not run out of gas, old filter.

2. I had just finished the clutch hydro line repair, which involved jamming the line forward into areas I couldn't see 200-300 times before it was in the right spot. This unseen area is where the coils are I believe.

3. Back to the possible carb issue, the carb on the side "I think" is not firing is dirty in the throttle body unlike the carb on the left where the motor seems to be firing, it is spotless.

4. Back to ignition, I'm pretty sure I did the testing wrong and I'll be asking later in this thread how to do THAT step by step.

So... Coil wires ef'd up? Carb ef'd up with crud on the right bank?

That's where I am, I'll be starting all new research on these problems and asking you all really stupid questions. There will be pictures from my end while doing the things you all tell me, and I'll take pics of anything you might need to see better.

ANY help will be really appreciated, especially since most of you don't even ride the 1500, THIS IS NOT LOST ON ME. But I've seen what this community can do for years now. I know what you can do.

Thanks,

Randy

Ok, it DOES run at least some, right? First, you need to know where the problem really is. So... pull and replace plug wires until it dies or really bogs - that cylinder is probably NOT a problem. Do this through all six. There is a first troubleshooting step for you.

Randy...was it running fine before you did the clutch hose, and it started acting up after that? If so, I would be suspecting a wire, or vacuum hose might have been damaged/pulled loose in the process of snaking the hose down thru the obstacle course. The factory service manual is pretty much useless, imho. I can say that because I bought one...and it's CRAP,. However...I can look thru it for help if needed. :yes:

Hmmmm ...if I remember right intake manifolds are separated ...so one side is not doing good ..that’s a lean trowards carb on that side ...best thing is to move slow and sure one thing at a time

I have never seen the inside of a 1500 and feel pretty useless other than ordinary engine diagnosis for items I have had experience with.

Have to agree with AApple, stuffing a line in under the shelter without clearing the path is not good on the 1500, have had a look at mine. pidjones mentions to determine which cylinder(s) are giving you grief and with the clutch line possibly impacting on the right side, possible to expect that the right cylinder bank is affected.

Had this happen on my '65 Plymouth years ago. Picked up the parts for a tune up and after it was done the engine would not start. Changed out additional parts, and then phoned Dad. His recommendation, go back to the start. When I did this, found the condenser to points wire had twisted just slightly and grounded out - 4 hours later.

If the engine ran fine before the work, you should pull the plastic (tupperware) and have a good look.

Good luck.

Yeah, as i recall this is where we were at a couple of months ago with this rascal. As much as I hate to say it, your best bet might be to start peeling plastic off of that thing and scrutinize what's going on under there.

<<EDIT: Yikes. I should read closer. I just repeated what Ernest already said. However, if it's true that great minds think alike, you might want to consider going down that path.

Weather and light aren't an issue anymore.

image.php

Before starting to test the plug wires I needed to make sure she started. Cranking fine but choke not enough I had to WOT a bit. It started but,

while I was twisting the throttle I saw gas "bubbling" here. I KNOW I did but because I smelled insulation I shut her down fast. I needed to see it again to be 100% sure but it wouldn't do it w/o WOT and just didn't want to put her through that anymore.

image.php

The thing I'm pointing to looks just like the gas shut off valve, round screws on the corners of a sandwiched gasket of some kind. The larger hoses are from the gas filter to the carb. This pic also shows the clean "running?" side and the dirty "non-running" side.

The smell of insulation came from the same suspect coil/hydro repair area.

I wanted to post this before proceeding to the plug firing testing.

~O~

JUST REMEMBERED! high loud hiss while running that wasn't coming from the air flow into the carbs.

More info...

The leaking gas thing was bugging me so I went back out to get the proof. I left the choke off and started it with WOT and that area bubbled with fresh gas. :head bang: For about 5 seconds it sounded FINE when I gave it some throttle, and then it starved again w/o throttle/choke. This reminds me of how at high throttle she ran like a bat outa hell, only resuming poor performance after easing on the throttle. I really think the leak is a WOT only problem though.

*memory* It just came to me so I'm putting it here in this update.

All this started the DAY of the hydro line repair while taking it to this house from my old apartment. So in the same day it was fixed and developed this problem immediately on the first post-repair ride on the day of the move.

~O~

What is the smell? May or may not be related. Could just be heating up normally, and it's been sitting awhile.

For an engine to run, we need air, fuel, spark, and compression.

Pretty sure you have compression, and you do have air, so we need to isolate the problem between spark and fuel.

Can you get a water spray bottle and spray at each header pipe by the cylinder head?
If so, after running it for a minute or so, spray each pipe. The cylinder running good will steam, each other will be cooler or cold.

Post what you find.

Well I have a 1500, but it isnt like that one. I almost think that the six carburetors on the Valkyrie might be simpler to deal with than those two!

Still, the coincidence of the trouble tied to the maintenance action is too strong to ignore. Use powers of observation on this one.

As stated come back and check exhaust pipe temperatures while running. If you can keep her running then you can pull plug leads to see which cylinders are running. Both the exhaust temp test and pulling plug wires gives you quick cylinder firing tests. As stated it is compression, fuel and ignition for the combustion running process. Looking at your carbs I feel that one side is not running.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208192#p208192:vdh0d5ba said:
Ansimp » Today, 3:47 am[/url]":vdh0d5ba]
As stated come back and check exhaust pipe temperatures while running. If you can keep her running then you can pull plug leads to see which cylinders are running. Both the exhaust temp test and pulling plug wires gives you quick cylinder firing tests. As stated it is compression, fuel and ignition for the combustion running process. Looking at your carbs I feel that one side is not running.

Tony, What did you see in the carbs to indicate one side is not running?

Intake colour but it is really hard to work off pictures as it could just be the lighting. Randy may just have a faulty coil but it requires a process of elimination to be sure. I also should of mentioned that you can use ether to supply an alternative fuel source if you are unsure of a carby.
The silicon spray also works if it is flammable. :hihihi: