Omega thread... 1-29-2018 test ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep beating on it. It will eventually reveal the secret. It isn't intentionally being obstinant, it is just its nature. Even though you may not feel that way at times, it is just an assembly of parts - you'll eventually out-smart it.

I'm with the collective on this. Haven't delved into the workings of the 1500 much, mine is behaving, because I have not had to, but I can tell you these can be frustrating. Don't get caught falling down the rabbit hole so to speak. Pick one possible issue, check it out, correct it or rule it out. Go to the next possible, and do the same. If you try to do too many things at once and you do correct the issue, you will not know why.

My '85 LTD fuel injected 1200 has given me a good run for my money on several occasions, as did the second one I had, but we are higher on the food chain and these bikes will come into line.

The bike apparently ran fine before you did the initial work. Go back to that and then go forward.

Hang in there. Cheers

You can do it. I use a spray can of carb cleaner instead of gas ⛽️ in a spray bottle. It is much safer. Remember it takes three things to make a motor run. Compression, fuel and spark.. Good Luck.

I watched your last video a few times, and it suddenly occurred to me....it doesn’t seem to want to accelerate when twisting the throttle, even over a prolonged period. Surely it should accelerate faster if not getting spark on 2 or even 3 cylinders. This behavior suggests to me it’s starving for fuel.
Im betting on a vacuum leak, which will make an engine react just as yours is.

My experience checking for spark on wasted spark coils like you did can be confusing. I’ve had mixed results pulling the plug boot like you did. More accurate would be to remove all 6 plugs, plug them in and lay them on the grounded valve covers, then crank it over while looking for spark on them all. I don’t think lack of spark is the problem any more though, but still worth checking. If any are not sparking, move it to a plug wire that is, to check if that plug is bad.

We’re all routing for you Randy. Don’t throw in the towel.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=208298#p208298:3j98bqps said:
Ansimp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 pm[/url]":3j98bqps]
“You can do it!!”
:good:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

image.php

SORRY! I USED THE "F" WORD TWICE :Awe:

Like I posted in the description, the coils got moved around a fair bit when I was trying to remove the rad fluid reservoir(which I never could get out :head bang: ). Now I too am wondering like many of you and Dan about fuel starvation, after all the accelerator pump IS leaking on WOT or close to WOT.

What do you think? :?

~O~

It’s been awhile since I’ve heard a 1500, but yours seems sluggish to accelerate. May be normal I don’t know.
I’d put back minimal stuff to make it rideable, then stay close by on test runs.

Sheesh it sounds pretty good to me ..but I don’t have much 1500 experience..I would test ride it too now ...yes airbox off would cause hiss big time ...it also causes a more lean condition in gas charge ...if test ride goes ok ..I’d start using atf in the gas ...cause it shouldn’t be this close to running bad ..might clean something up while riding ...good luck

Sluggish acceleration may be the mentioned accelerator pump. Otherwise, sounding much improved. I'd check for either a loose electrical connection that is now "better" (hard to find) or a vacuum leak in a line that got repositioned and is now better sealed (careful spraying solvents to find - they attack ABS).

BTW, you mentioned things breaking. ABS plastic gets weak as it gets older and is cyclicly stressed. I have found ABS plumbing cement good for repairs to it. Our local big box stores and hrdware stores stopped carrying it, but Amazon still sells it.

I really don't know a lot about the 1500s but......several have suggested vacuum hoses and/or fittings (I second due to the sluggishness in the vids); the electrical smell and the now blinking turn signal (didn't notice it in the 1/23 vid) suggests that the right turn signal wire has been shorted to ground causing the 'on' condition. When you assembled parts from the prior video the bare turn signal wire might have been pushed into contact with ground. These are my thoughts, for what they are worth. Best of luck man!

My opinion, she sounds like she is running on 5 cylinders. Listen again at the first start up (1:10-1:12 on the video timer) and initial throttle up. That is not firing on 6 cylinders.

Listened to your video. My impression(s) is that you are not firing all 6 cylinders. My 1500 does not sound like yours. I do not think it is the accelerator pump. Find the cylinders that are not firing.

When I start mine using the choke, on full then reduce the choke setting, I get a hiss noise around 1300 to 1400 RPM. I set the choke so that the hissing sound goes away. Once the choke is off there is no hissing noise.

I notice that your idle RPM is just under the second mark before the 1000 rpm marking. My 1500 settles in between the last mark before the 1000 RPM and the 1000 RPM mark. I would submit that yours is too low and I attribute this to the miss that I am hearing. There should be no "pitter/patter".

The accelerator pump leaking can cause the engine to bog on acceleration, but the issue I am hearing is more related to cylinders not firing, and it sounds like there is a miss on both cylinder banks. This could be from the same coil unit. When you check the coil wire connections, not the plug wires, make sure the blade connectors are on the coil terminal. Easy to push the blade connector on and have it resting against the coil terminal instead of on it. When the blade terminal is pushed on the coil terminal you should hear a click when the wire terminal is seated.

Good luck.

Can a coil fire only one of it's two plugs? Every cylinder on the left side IS firing. I question the two on the right because I'll never forget the shock I got from the #1 on the right.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208336#p208336:xjzyhg8a said:
Omega Man » Today, 3:23 am[/url]":xjzyhg8a]
Can a coil fire only one of it's two plugs? Every cylinder on the left side IS firing. I question the two on the right because I'll never forget the shock I got from the #1 on the right.

~O~

It's possible but probably not. To have one plug fire and the other not, the winding inside the coil would have to broken - highly unlikely. These are very robust units.

If you got a shock from #1, check the wire and routing. Could have damaged the plug wire insulation. These get hard and brittle after this many years. You're the ground the spark is looking for.

Check the primary and secondary resistance of each coil. First, check secondary resistance through the spark plug wires coil for 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. Resistance should be 20.2K to 26.8K ohms. If the reading is not within spec, go to the coils directly, remove plug wires and test for secondary resistance of each coil.

To check the primary resistance, disconnect the wires to each coil. Take note of connection. Measure resistance between terminals. Should be 2.6 to 3.2 ohms. Check secondary resistance at this time as well, plug wires removed. Resistance should be 11.7K to 14.3K ohms.

You can have a bad plug, plug wire.

Hope this helps.

Just took her around the block a couple of times after she was warmed up. The accelerator valve issue has to be fixed before proceeding. after I got to 3,000 rpms it was riding normally. Then the spark issue with at least the last plug on right side next I think, right?

~O~

One of my rules for troubleshooting is - when you find a problem, fix it! Don't do further testing until you fix a known problem. Systems interact, and symptoms from one problem can mask, enhance, or generate false symptoms of another problem. This served me well through a 39 year career in partivle accelerators - some pretty complex systems, but just like our 'wings, assemblies of basic parts.

Plan now is to get a kit for the accelerator valve. I read one is supposed to be able to fix this w/o completely removing the carb, the bolts can be loosened to get the room needed to r/r. I was thinking of removing it now but now think it's best to just wait.

So until another "next payday" payday. :head bang: :BigGrin:

~O~