One washer could hold the ignition plate advanced

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
When I was putting the ignition back on I put a washer on all 4 bolts that hold the ignition to the engine, 4 washers came out (so I thought) so I used 4 washers going back on.

I found that if the one bolt in this picture has a washer on it like the others, the washer sits too far to the right which will hold the advance plate toward advanced, quite alot toward advanced.
This may have been the cause of the extreme amount of ping I was getting.

Might be worth a look if your trying to get rid of pinging so you can run on cheaper gas.
Not an easy task though since the engine has to come out or the swing arm removed to get access to the pickups.

ignitionpickups.jpg

:builder: I guess you could always grind out a notch in the washer if you really want the bolt to have a washer like the rest

Thats a great find... If more of us post mistakes we made or discovered then we all would make less of them and wont be like this :swoon:
:lol:

Thanks for da heads up, Dan! :clapping:
That's looks like something I would do, and then never figure out....you just saved me(and others) a major headache.... :salute:

Dan, my son and I ran into the same problem about 18 months ago. Only had three washers and thought we had lost one. Ended up leaving the washer off the bolt you illustrate.

Latest posts