Painting the 1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally - got one on Gerry - not an easy feat! :music: The real test will be this coming weekend or so when I use the paint guns instead of a spray can. Have some rigid 4 mm plastic board cut out for that. Have a thought or two on this from some videos I've watched, specifically setting up the spray guns.

Good day today. Picked up the paint, a light metal flake silver - $23.00 CDN to do this painting. Much easier and faster with this 2 part paint scheme. The small inexpensive spray guns, $20.00 CDN, worked well with the metal flake and clear coat.

After some shopping and visiting Sonya's mother, decided to prep the last 8 pieces for painting and set up the garage to do so:
Paint booth and parts readsy for paint.jpg
This was the maiden voyage oF the paint booth:
Paint booth ready to use.jpg
Attached fan to back:
Fan attached to paint booth.jpg
The booth worked quite well. Had to remind myself to get the lazy susan as close as possible to the filter, worked better at keeping the overspray contained. Note to self, keep paint gun air pressure at 16 to 20 PSI. These are small guns with a 0.8 mm tip. Keeps overspray down. At 30 PSI these small guns do flow a lot of product, and you get a lot of overspray. Had cleaned these guns before I put them away, but it would have been good to do a cleaning before I started as the silver metal flake coverage is spotty in some spots. Not concerned as this is a 25 year old bike and you will have to get down and personal to see. Will let these parts sit for the weekend before install. Be able to use my new to me bike lift that I picked up for $100.00 CDN - too good to pass up:
bike lift.jpg
Didn't buy the 1800 in the picture. Here are some pics of the finished product. This is the lower fron cowling that was red and damaged when I got it:
Lower Front Cowl 2.jpg
Lower front cowling.jpg
Clearcoated heat protector 2.jpg
Engine side panel.jpg
Will spruce up the bike after these last pieces are installed and do pics. Cheers

Been raining all day. Good day to replace the heat protectors. Nothing is ever a direct swap, a little jostling is always required. Had the opportunity to use the bike lift. It is very nice not having to work on a cement floor. On the left side of the bike there are three heat protectors, two are easy to get at the front and rear, but the one in the middle - exhaust protector - is a royal PITA. You have to drop the exhaust header to swap it out. Don't think the exhaust header has been off in a very long time. This pic shows the bike up on the lift being worked on, and the arrow points to the exhaust protector behind the side stand:
Heat Protector replacement 2.jpg
Have to modify the front left heat protector to accommodate the shifter brace. Should be done by end weekend. Have a family lunch to go to tomorrow. Liking the contrasting look of the silver.

Finished putting the heat shields on this morning. Had to modify the one at the shifter because of the shifter brace install:
Shifter Mod.jpg
Took some 45 minutes to cut the metal away because I was using a hacksaw blade without the hacksaw frame. Damn blade is flexible and would bind quite often. Here's a sneak preview of the final product:
Sneak Preview.jpg
Good picture of the white silver contrast with some chrome accent thrown in. Liking the look.

Have had an issue with the side wings on this bike. Never an easy removal or install. Next time I have the body panels off will try to adjust the engine guards. Failing this may go to the later model style of engine guards.

Cheers

Bike is back together, cleaned up and I took some final pictures. I'm pleased with the result, new fresh look. The white/silver and chrome accent contrast is very nice. Good thing now is that if the lower heat protectors get dinged, whatever, take off, a quick sand, paint and put back on. Can't do that with chrome.

This is where it started. Fixing this panel:
Where it all began.jpg
Then it spiraled into a C-19 project that entailed a complete body panel repaint, all the dark blue trim and finally the lower heat protectors. Now for some "glam" pics as Mr pidjones so aptly phrased. Not a photographer, but tried my best. Enjoy.
Front 2.jpg
Front lower 1.jpg
Left side 1.jpg
Left side 2.jpg
Right side 1.jpg
Right side 3.jpg
Rear Right 1.jpg
Rear left 1.jpg
Right Panel 1.jpg

Last set of pictures:
Rear 2.jpg
Rear 1.jpg
Dash 1.jpg
I think that is enough. She shows well in the sun or shade. It was a great experience. Thanks for coming along for the ride. Now to get to the 1200. Would like to have it done by end September, engine and a fresh coat of paint.

Latest posts