Painting the 1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Have the standard red reflector on the rear plastic centre piece. Thinking LED strip lights would look good in it as well:
Rear LED Light.jpg

Thanks Bill. Isn't it great how people want to keep you busy! On the list. :salute:

Prepped the Honda emblems for install. Will get these on this week. Waiting on the side panel emblems, en route. Been looking at the seat. It is dull and could stand a fresh look. Dupli Color and VHT have a vinyl and fabric spray paint that have good reviews. Read a couple of posts on other bike forums and the info was complimentary even after a couple of years. Anyone tried these products?

Didn't cut and polish the trunk lid before install, it was the last piece to be painted. Just wanted to get the bike together. Now that all is together, a cut and polish would help the look. Can do it on the bike so no taking apart needed. On the list for this week.

Found a set of lower heat/exhaust protectors that I think I can work with. Out of the US, exchange and shipping ouch, but when painted and installed will look good.

Freshen up one aspect of the bike and another not so pristine aspect comes to the fore.

Cheers

Thank you - now I have to keep it. My riding friends are suitably impressed because they would not take on a project like this, but if so would have someone else do it. I'm fortunate to be able to do this and other types of work, and being retired, like to keep busy.

Went for a ride to have coffee with a riding friend that I haven't seen for quite a while. He was on his Triumph Scrambler that I had not seen and I was on the 1500 that he had not seen. The scrambler is quite nice, look forward to taking it for a spin. My friend was very impressed with the 1500 finished product.

Today was a payback day, started to clean and reorganize the garage after having the run of it for the last little while. New shelves going up. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Have some ideas as to how to make the space available more user friendly and to optimize the space.

Going to see my paint guy in the morning, on the bike of course and get some Dupli Color Vinyl and Fabric for the seat.

Will be posting, but have some fresh irons in the fire. I have located the fairing side marker molding and have it on order. Not an inexpensive little piece, but time and energy have to be taken into account. Have the original seat in the crawl space and will be getting it out and looking at the condition. One of the POs replaced it because of a tear or such. Have been looking at vinyl repair videos and there is a lot of DIY products to take care of such issues. Once the repair is done and seat painted, may not be a 100 percent OEM look, but no one is going to get that close.

Don't know about 1500s, but there are replacement covers for 1000s, 1100s, 1200s, and 1800s. I've done 1000s and if you have a good set base under it takes little time. ~$150 US for an 1800 cover.

Been a couple of days since I updated this thread. Thanks for the info on the seat covers. I have looked at these on line, but haven't seen one I liked. I will be doing the repair on the original seat that I have in our crawl space. If it works out and looks fairly decent, will have learned another important skill. Always like to learn new things.

Weather has been good for the past while so have gotten some riding in, reorganizing the garage with new and more shelving. Trying to utilize the available space better.

Have ordered the heat protectors, lower front cowling, and engine side covers. Don't really need these, have the aftermarket chrome heat protectors and engine side covers, but since I am freshening the look, I want to bring it back closer to how it came out of the factory. Think the original metal heat protectors, engine side covers and lower front cowling in the original colours will complement what I have done to date. I have been looking at a lot of '95 1500 pictures to get a sense of the colour required. I'm thinking a very light silver with pearl (like what the pearl does to the look) and clear coat would accent nicely. May not be as original, but will look good.

As an aside, Sonya and I went for a ride up island and stopped at the Tim's in Duncan for coffee and snack. Able to order and do take out, and Tim's has a bathroom open. There were a couple of HD riders in the parking lot. One of the fellows came over to the bike and commented favorably on the fresh look, especially because it is an older bike. He came to within a foot of the bike to look at the paint job and mentioned that it was very good and that I must have done it before. I told him it was my first kick at the cat, but he did not believe me. While I was inside getting our take out, he talked to Sonya and could not say enough about the fresh look and paint job. Nice complement to my C-19 paint project.

Really looking forward to getting all the ordered parts and finishing the paint project in its entirety. I'm glad the postal/delivery of the various parts is taking longer than usual due to the C-19 issue. Gives me time to get ready for the next batch of work to finish the paint project, specifically the portable paint booth. Have thoughts on what I will make.

Cheers

Been scouring the web for the right picture(s) of the heat protectors, engine side covers, and front lower cowling. Found this one and think it is a good representation of the factory finish for these parts:
Side View.jpg
It shows a chrome lower cowling, not a big issue. I'm thinking a lighter shade of grey with pearl, should make for a great look.

Managed to get some small items out of the way yesterday in between cleaning and organizing the garage.

Got the rear emblems back on:
Rear Emblems.jpg
Decided to do the rear reflector:
Rear LED Light.jpg
with LED strip lights. Had to remove the trailer hitch receiver to get at the nuts to release the reflector. Not too difficult to take apart, Installed an ABS spacer for the light strip:
Rear Reflector ABS Spacer.jpg
Threading the wires up to hook into the right trunk side marker was interesting, would have been easier with the saddlebag removed, but that was not going to happen. Clothes hanger and wire to run a pull through wire. More OEM connectors and all worked. Showed Sonya and she likes the look. She is more impressed that you can buy a roll of these LED strip lights and cut to size. The final product turned out not too bad:
Rear LED Lights.jpg

The side panel emblems should be here this week. Want to install the paint protection film (PPF) but need the emblems so I can trace around the PPF install the emblems and PPF.

Everything is coming together.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217245#p217245:1hily50u said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 9:55 am[/url]":1hily50u]
That is really looking nice! If you keep going, your not going to want to get it dirty on the road! :hihihi:
Are you inferring that I would treat it like an HD - not! Can't massage the ego if no one sees it! :Egyptian: :beer:

Latest posts