PICT 34 carb fuel draining and hydrolocking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183079#p183079:2hzwom8h said:
brianinpa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:34 pm[/url]":2hzwom8h]
Is it possible that the solenoid is defective and it doesn't fully shut off the fuel?

Are you also saying the the carb continues to leak even with the petcock closed? Is the petcock leaking?

Yes, the solenoid could be defective.
The bowl will drain into the engine even if the petcock is closed. If it's open it will drain the carb then the tank until a cylinder and the manifold is full to the level of the tank.

Everything I found on checking the solenoid said "if it clicks, it works". No mention of any kind of seal, no replacement seal in the rebuild kit, how strong it should be, zip. If you hear it clicking, it's good. Well, it goes click.

And I can't imagine a carb design so bad that it requires a solenoid-operated plunger to stop it from draining into the engine when it's not running. I have never seen that anywhere else. That's not and anti-dieseling valve, it's an anti-drain-the-carb valve.

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 212
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183083#p183083:1kzgt26d said:
chuck c » 39 minutes ago[/url]":1kzgt26d]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183079#p183079:1kzgt26d said:
brianinpa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:34 pm[/url]":1kzgt26d]
Is it possible that the solenoid is defective and it doesn't fully shut off the fuel?

Are you also saying the the carb continues to leak even with the petcock closed? Is the petcock leaking?

Yes, the solenoid could be defective.
The bowl will drain into the engine even if the petcock is closed. If it's open it will drain the carb then the tank until a cylinder and the manifold is full to the level of the tank.

Everything I found on checking the solenoid said "if it clicks, it works". No mention of any kind of seal, no replacement seal in the rebuild kit, how strong it should be, zip. If you hear it clicking, it's good. Well, it goes click.

And I can't imagine a carb design so bad that it requires a solenoid-operated plunger to stop it from draining into the engine when it's not running. I have never seen that anywhere else. That's not and anti-dieseling valve, it's an anti-drain-the-carb valve.
file.php
The Weber dft uses a similar valve down low in the idle circuit. DFT valve looks to be a better design.

image.php

The tip seats against the inside raised part...self centering and somewhat a wedge as it goes in.

image.php

Curious Chuck...can you post a pic where your valve seats against the port in the carb?

New (old) carb came today. Gen-u-ine German Solex. It looks really good inside. All passages were clear. Whoever stored it knew enough to not leave gas in it. I'm running the leak test now. I should be able to stick it on tomorrow! It hit me that my very uneven idle could have been the fault of that carb, too. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20161102_182033.jpg
    20161102_182033.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 245
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183213#p183213:28j4qs92 said:
chuck c » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am[/url]":28j4qs92]
New (old) carb came today. Gen-u-ine German Solex. It looks really good inside. All passages were clear. Whoever stored it knew enough to not leave gas in it. I'm running the leak test now. I should be able to stick it on tomorrow! It hit me that my very uneven idle could have been the fault of that carb, too. Stay tuned.
file.php
:good:

It runs! It only runs on choke but the idle needs to be set. It fired up as soon as the carb got gas. Now if my manifold isn't full of gas in the morning, I'm going to say I found the problem. :music:

Attachments

• 20161103_185704[1].jpg
    20161103_185704[1].jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 204