Prepping for Summer 2020

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216259#p216259:14y1xcyc said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 5:44 am[/url]":14y1xcyc]
:useless: :hihihi: :ahem:

Okay - here's the latest pic of the panel:
Left Panel - New Clear Coat.jpg
Much better finish. Still some rippling affect in some areas from the initial repaint. You have to get close and personal to see this.

The way ahead will be to let sit for a few weeks, cure and harden, then evaluate. A good scuff with 800/1000 grit paper then new clear coat should bring it back to its former glory.

Now to put the plastics back on, bleed the brakes, and take for test spin. Looking forward to seeing the bike back together with the new paint scheme.

Finished putting the bike back together today. Cleaned parts as they went on. Took it for a spin around the block and have a speedo again, replaced the speedo cable and wheel gear box.

The finished product is quite good. With the seat on can see why the colour of the plastic trim was a much darker blue. Good thing is a repaint to a darker colour with a spray gun is probable. Be able to mix a colour needed. Here are a few pics of the finished product. Unless you get close and personal, you won't be able to see the panel repair. This first pic shows the panel I repaired next to the shelter that I painted:
Left panel and shelter installed.jpg
This is a pic of the rear pocket doors - left is before, right is after:
Rear Pocket Lids.JPG
Here are some outside pics.
The first is the side with the panel I repaired:
Outside 3.jpg
Outside 5.jpg
The result is quite good I think.

That's it for this bike for now. Ready for summer cruising, maybe.

Thank you all. Just talked to my brother about this and other issues, and mentioned that I will be talking to my paint guy and getting paint to do the whole bike. This is in anticipation of running out of other projects to do over the next while. Tried to take the left muffler off and install new exhaust donuts (?) but the muffler would not budge. Supposed to be able to rotate the left muffler to take out the rear wheel axle. Going to be a chore to get this done. Would also be able to do the water/aluminum foil clean of the chrome.

Will be painting the top box and hand guards on the V-Strom, chain clean and lube, then it is done. Think I have to relocate the horns, will be thinking on this.

The 1200 will be next on the list after the V-Strom. TPS, wiring check - been thinking how to minimize the number of new and existing wires in the harness, alternator alignment, new to me rad fan - picked up an 1800 fan that is more low profile, should work good. The odometer stopped working a while back. The digital speedo readout works so no impact on the self-cancelling signals or cruise.

Need to source decals and such for the 1200/1500. Good project.

Small amount of work started/done today. Taking the V-Strom top box apart for painting - match the panniers I did. Put the 1500 wind deflectors back on, new hardware - was missing an acorn nut - cleaning as I go as well. Here's a couple of pics:
Wind Deflector installed.jpg
Wind Deflector Hardware.jpg
Used blue loctite on the acorn nuts, should stay on for a long time.

Took the 1500 for a ride as well. Noticed that the panel I repaired, painted with new clear coat, was brighter than the original finish. My take is that clear coat does yellow over time. Went and saw my paint guy and ordered enough paint to do the bike - this is for me since I am keeping it. We discussed the blue trim as well. The original colour is quite a bit darker so he is going to mix up a paint that is closer in colour to the original.

Noticed that the speedometer was quite steady now that the new cable and wheel gearbox is installed. The speedometer used to fluctuate a bit, but not now. Amazing what new part(s) will do.

Upside to all this, work is getting done. :Egyptian: :Egyptian: Cheers

There are a number of individual letters and emblems "glued" onto the plastics. Have to find a source for possible replacements. Discussed this with my paint guy and he mentioned a product called Press-in-Place Emblem Adhesive:
Press-in-Place Emblem Adhesive.jpg
Looked at a couple of YouTube videos and this is some slick product. Bit pricey at approx $50.00 CDN for 10 2X12 inch strips. Now to find some info on removing emblems - paint guy mentioned fishing line drawn down in behind the emblem.

Checked out a few more painting videos and one fellow - customspraymods - used an adhesion promoter before he painted spray can or spray gun. Will have a discussion regarding this. He made it look easy as he does it all the time and the difference between spray can and spray gun was negligible. Wanted to further my education regarding painting as well - lots of good info to digest such as spray can fan patterns, learn something new each day, keeping an overlap, where to point the nozzle and such. Lots to learn.

I used 3M double side VHB tape to mount my HONDA emblems on the Hunley. Measure and lightly mark then make sure yoy place it right, it doen't let go. I applied it to the back of the emblem, trimmed with a razor blade, then peeled the backing off.

Thank you. It's going to be a good project. The base, mid (Pearl) paints are ready to be picked up. Have enough clear coat on hand. The colour for the blue pieces will be ready Monday. Will start taking pieces off on Sunday, thinking it will be a four stage process.

2 days for the blue trim pieces.
2 days for the forward end pieces
2 days for the rear saddlebags and trunk

Fourth stage will be the front fairing. Will make a determination as to whether to remove it or tape and paint in place. I'm leaning towards leaving it on and tape, should be good.

Taking the emblems off will be challenging. Want to reinstall.

Had a look at the mirrors and mirror trim pieces. They are practically identical. This is going to freshen the look very nicely.

Have a spare rear wheel that I will be cleaning and prepping for painting as well. Not a fan of anodized aluminum, hard to keep clean.

Cheers

Leaving the front fairing on and taping everything all round will be what I will do. Going to start pulling the accessories, chrome guards, and such off starting today. Have these chrome side pieces to remove:
Chrome side pieces.jpg
Not a fan of a lot of chrome such as this so I will be looking for another product to replace these such as Giant Loop Vinyl Protective Film - VPF. Will do a bit more research into this. Also want to put the Goldwing emblems back on the side panels.

Summer prep thoughts are alive and well. The C-19 paint project is well underway and occupying most of my time. Have been browsing the forums and have come up with a few thoughts for new projects to keep me busy.

One that I like is installing LED strip lights in the trunk and saddlebag marker lights. The lights that are there have bulbs that are not that easy to source. Looked at the mods that have been done and installing these LED strip lights are quite practical and being done by many. The LED strip lights I bought came in yesterday, $10.00 CDN delivered for a 5 meter strip. Used an old battery and these light up quite nicely:
LED Light strip.jpg
While I was waiting for some items to be worked on, took the trunk and saddlebag marker lights apart and it should be a straight forward install. Going to do this before putting the saddlebags and trunk together, intend ,to let the new paint cure and harden for at least 5 days before putting back together. Could do it sooner, but lots of time available right now - will be cleaning the bike a bit before putting back together.

Have considered a refresh of the chrome pieces to a black chrome look. The lower cowl is getting a bit ratty. More research to do.

Latest posts