Project 1978 Gold Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet

Reaction score
They got my bike into the shop today. Said he needs to look it over & see what it needs to get it running. Good news it has spark, Bad news is the gastank is badly rusted. Not going to leave any stone unturned. I just can't belive anyone would leave something like this outside like they did.
If this were any other bike I would not touch it. I've got just over 100.000 miles of fond memories on this bike & am looking forward to the next 100.000.
Got a call from Diamond custom seats. They are finishing up my seat & riders backrest.
Just to refresh your memory this is what it looked like when I dropped it off.
this Picture makes it look good.
GEDC0855.jpg

In the shop
GEDC0862.jpg

Some close ups on just how bad this is
GEDC0861.jpg

GEDC0859.jpg

GEDC0860.jpg

I'll keep posting pictures as this progresses

i have a set (front and back) of floorboards pads are red they are in good shape. i have cleaned them up and will never use them as i prefer foot pegs. if u need them we can talk. right now they are setting in my garage. got them in a trailer full of gl1000 parts. i believe they came off a 77

Anytime you tackle something like this theirs always good & bad news. I went to see if the windshield would clean up today, Guess I'll be buying another. He had the timing belt covers off today & showed me the shreds of what were left of the timing belts. My Jaw silently hit the floor. Never seen anything like it in my years in the GoldWing world.
Good news is the engine turns over & is not seized up! :heat: :clapping:
Below is the photo of the inside of the belt covers. In the first pic look @ the junk in the lower left corner. Water got in there & disinegrated the belt.

GEDC0863.jpg

GEDC0864.jpg

He put some used belts in it to do a compression test. To make sure a valve didn't hit the piston & damage either or. If I don't get a call this afternoon all is good. Keeping my fingers crossed. :beg:

rock42":2uexj9mp said:
i have a set (front and back) of floorboards pads are red they are in good shape. i have cleaned them up and will never use them as i prefer foot pegs. if u need them we can talk. right now they are setting in my garage. got them in a trailer full of gl1000 parts. i believe they came off a 77
Thank you! I've already have some. I bought from GoldWing Chrome.

Went & visited it today. He had it running before he pulled the carbs. Wanted to hear if it had any knocks or pinga in the engine.
Nothing, So all is good there. All the electrical is working & the brakes are in working. Just waiting on parts.
GEDC0866.jpg

My seat was delivered today. The picture doesn't do it justice. Its really NICE!! Can't wait to check out the monster backrest!
The small pad is what they made to go on the luggage rack for a passenger backrest. Since my wife rides her own bike its pretty much going to stay off the bike. Only going on for that rare occaision when she does ride with me.
GEDC0865.jpg

Diane's watching the paint peel on the TV (The Bachelor) So I decided to putz. Got the backrest mounted to the brackets. They did a really nice job considering the piece of junk I sent them as a pattern. Got 5 of the 6 screws in so its good enough. Put the plates in the replacement valve covers.
GEDC0867.jpg

Yesterday I was out & about in the cage so I decided to pick up the side covers as I mentioned everything was sprayed with WD 40 & didn't want to ride it home like that. After I washed off the oil they looked HORRIBLE. Should of snapped a pic but I forgot. Took them up to a body shop I do business with to have the fiber glass repaired, Then painted & striped. I'm going to have them vinal striped & then a clear coat put over it so the striping will never wear off as it has. Going to get them as original looking as I can.

The bike was off the stand & in a corner as he has gone as far as he can for now as were waiting for the carb kits & belts.

Since some areas around here got better than a foot of snow ths week (We only got maybe 6 inches) the repair shop has got a spurt of snowmobile repairs & since my bike has prettymuch been used as "Busy' work its not done yet.
Good news is all they have left to do is put a front tire on it as the one on it is badly weather cracked. So I should be riding it home next week.
When I kindly asked my wife if her car could sit outside so I have room to work on my Bike. :smilie_happy: She kindly said I should clean out my half of the garage & use it.
:smilie_happy: So some things have to be sacrificed. Put a fresh coat of Camp Dry on the 92 Convertible top & outside she now sits.
GEDC0878.jpg

Since the whole bike needs to be detailed & rust removed on the remaining parts. My half is of course where the Helix is.
The remaining snowmobile season should be very short lived as its suppose to get up into the 40's & 50's next week.

I guess I should of put this thread in the restorations. Oh well who's perfect.
Haven't updated because their wasn't much to update. They got it running. Then found that the crank seal was leaking so waited a week till they got one from Honda. Got the bike home last Thursday. Took off all the rusty chrome & put on what I had ordered. Its starting to look proud & pretty again.
187.jpg

189.jpg

Then started with the elbow grease. I got a tip from a friend to use coke & tinfoil to remove the rust from my chrome rails. Works slicker than chit!
007.jpg

005.jpg

The guys did a real nice job on my sidecovers. I got the other ones back today.
006.jpg

008-1.jpg

The bad news is, its still leaking oil. Al said he was afraid of this. Said from sitting outside, Water got into the engine & pitted where the seal sits. He's never seen anything like it. So it will prolly be another week until I see it again.
Between all this I did get about a 100 miles on her. Love hearing the sweet growl of the engine again. Plus for this rider it was nice in a weird sense to be back on a motorcycle again. I sold my last wing in 06. And have souly been riding Maxi-Scoots the past few years.
Any tips on sealing up my oil leak will be appreciated!

ive seen that before ...it dosnt harm the motor or is leaking from being out tolerence ....the one i dealt with leaked ...but i sure slowed it with something i cant remember right now

try adding some transmission sealer to the oil. About 1/3 recommended for a tranny. And run it regularly watching the oil level. It should stop the leak after some use.

Latest posts