Question on cylinders

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I need to clean up my 1100's cylinders... what size wire brush will fit in them to remove some possible surface rust? I haven't cracked the heads off yet. Just getting ducks in order.. Have haven't ridden in a while disease caused by dr's.. stent and triple eight weeks ago... and time to hit it.. thank all... btw that be for both cone and side wire wheels....

A little wd40 and a couple scotchbrite pads might be all you need if that. I'd wait on buying supplies until you see the actual condition.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139284#p139284:o2o3qn9j said:
slabghost » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:52 am[/url]":eek:2o3qn9j]
A little wd40 and a couple scotchbrite pads might be all you need if that. I'd wait on buying supplies until you see the actual condition.
Agreed.

correct way is to buy a cylinder hone..and use a drill to spin it in the cylinder moving in and out slowly and evenly. cheap tool $10 or so.

i have found that hones are not the correct way ...they do more damage than fixing on a boxer motor ....glaze can be hard and a hone at speed will ride over glaze and cut the metal walls ...this is no fix on a oldwing ...on a more strait up and down motor fine .... but i wont even consider a hone on a oldwing ...is my correct way ...

Hone if you're installing new rings. Otherwise, what Slabghost says. Or, rags soaked in some Evapo-Rust and left in the cylinder for a few hours will make it gone. You'll know once the heads are off.

I use a ball hone and ATF as a lubricant. Spin the hone with a power driver and move it in & out, just don't over-do. I had a 1200 engine that had set with water in #2 & 4. I honed the cylinders, lapped the valves, put it back together, and had 165psi on both cylinders.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139432#p139432:2t0rj21e said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:57 pm[/url]":2t0rj21e]
I use a ball hone and ATF as a lubricant. Spin the hone with a power driver and move it in & out, just don't over-do. I had a 1200 engine that had set with water in #2 & 4. I honed the cylinders, lapped the valves, put it back together, and had 165psi on both cylinders.

Can't beat that for a result !! :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139432#p139432:2vu58tql said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm[/url]":2vu58tql]

Just so I understand: you moved the piston to the bottom of the cylinder and used the ball hone on the exposed part?

You don't need a ball hone for this job as Joe has proven many times. Just hand sand the heavy rust out of the bore using plenty of elbow grease and cleaning regularly to keep from pushing the rubbish down into the piston rings. A piece of clean rag stuffed onto the piston helps keep the rings protected. :yes:

Latest posts