Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so. I've heard the different years had different locations for the attaching hardware. The '83 seat is also longer, I think. There has been a couple of discussions about this here, but I think it was before the crash, so the threads are prolly gone.
Someone else will know for sure, tho. :mrgreen:

The 1100 frame is a tad longer, I can't say for sure what other differences there are as far as seat dimensions and mounting points.
A welder and grinder usually answer those questions for me :builder:

dan filipi":35r7k9af said:
The 1100 frame is a tad longer, I can't say for sure what other differences there are as far as seat dimensions and mounting points.
A welder and grinder usually answer those questions for me :builder:

Heh they fix alot of issues don't they.

I got a GL1000 on trade for another bike I had but the stator is fried I was thinking of putting the seat off the 1000 on the Aspy cause it's a nice aftermarket seat. But I measured it up and without some mount mods it won't fit the 1000 seat is shorter. So I am going to look at an external alternator on the 1000 and ride it.

Shhhh don't tell the wife she thinks I am fixing it for a friend :Doh2: :Doh2:

It's a standard wing 1978 Bone Stock. It runs well just doesn't charge. I checked the stator phase to phase on the Yellow wires and one of the 3 is not making any hydro. The guy that had it didn't ride it hard at all but he also has zero mechanical aptitude and he just wanted to trade it for a running 920 Virago I had. So we swapped. I never rode the Virago as it's just not my style of bike. If I can get this 1000 charging it will be a nice ride

He's already back on the road with the Yamaha and happy as a pig in poop so it's all good.

Ya a stator is not out of the question it's the whole drop the engine thing to get a not so great charging system where the external has power to spare. The laziness is showing again LOL

they work fine on stock 1000s with the wiring mods and stuff its the wiring that makes the sators go bad ....as long as your not putting extra lights and stuff on ... but i understand about the work but those 78 are nice bikes and the poor boy alt. wont hide anywhere ....this sounds like a great project bike

Your right if I go external it can't be hid and I have thought of that and being the bike is in decent shape a stator may be the best way to go. On ebay I searched mini alternator and there are some nice looking one wire race type alternators for about 150.00

So. In what is my usual pattern I over analyze things till I reach a conclusion about what to do. It would make a real nice project bike so I'll wrestle with the pro and cons a bit more and then dive in.

Well the decision has been made me and a friend are going to replace the stator. But not till after we test everything one more time to be sure it's the stator and not anything else. I will post a couple pics in the next couple days