RADIO WIRING IN 84 GL 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobsyouruncle

Reaction score
Hi winter in my neck of woods, just in process of installing new stereo. I have installed a number of stereos in cars over the years, I currently have radio/stereo sitting half way in place

Here`s what I have...need help please, what am I doing wrong

I have yellow to yellow and Red to Red for power, I have my speakers hooked up, I can get pretty decent sound, I think grounding is where I am having trouble?

Everything is tinny and distorted until I run a short wire from one of the speaker connections to the red power wire and then BOOM great sound. Should the speaker wire be touching the power red?

I thought it should be a negative?

The old player that I removed had a wire fastened to the very back of it, obviously just grounding the unit to the chassis I assume, and then the black ground wire coming out of player also fastened to that same ground wire....Is that correct because that`s also how I have the new one hooked up.

The other thing is this.....Out of new player, I have 2 wires for front left and 2 wires for front right speakers. I have a white wire and a white wire with black stripe for the left, and the Gray and the gray with black stripe for right speaker....I want rear speakers, have Purple and green for that, but concentrating first on front speakers.

The last guy that installed the other player (previous owner) had it hooked up in a circular manner, same as I have always done...been years BTW so I forget.

So as I have it set up right now I am only using 1 of each wire if you follow my drift.

Dont I have to ground the speaker wire at some point? Like I said it goes on great when I touch one speaker connection to the red power line by way of a short wire crossing over.

I know something is amiss because while it`s ok with my ipod shuffle in the front 3.5 input, when I put a cd in it just flashes on aNd off with error.

Any suggestions please

Perhaps someone could tell me how just the front speaker wires connect, do they need at some point to be grounded...confused...BTW I have done tons of searching

Most modern audio units do not ground the speakers, you should have 2 wires to each speaker. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the red and yellow wires. The yellow should always have battery voltage, it's for preset memory. The red wire should have battery voltage only when the ignition switch is on.

Check for continuity between the black (Ground) wire and the frame. I'm not sure about the '84, but the 1100's use green wire for ground. With power and ground hooked up, you should get good sound. Again, do not power or ground the speakers!

The rear speaker leads should be taped so they can't touch each other or any other wire or ground. Finally, make sure the fader is set all the way to the front speakers.

Hope this helps...

Steve83":f72i1tru said:
Most modern audio units do not ground the speakers, you should have 2 wires to each speaker. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the red and yellow wires. The yellow should always have battery voltage, it's for preset memory. The red wire should have battery voltage only when the ignition switch is on.

Check for continuity between the black (Ground) wire and the frame. I'm not sure about the '84, but the 1100's use green wire for ground. With power and ground hooked up, you should get good sound. Again, do not power or ground the speakers!

The rear speaker leads should be taped so they can't touch each other or any other wire or ground. Finally, make sure the fader is set all the way to the front speakers.

Hope this helps...

Thank You Steve, it helps, everything helps :)

Steve83":1lhas0hy said:

Hope this helps...

THANKS SO MUCH STEVE

WORKS FANTASTIC!!! Was so easy, I made it hard LOL

Last time I hooked up a car stereo I always had to ground a speaker wire to get the OOOMPH out of it, was probably doing it wrong back then but it sounded good anyway

My 4 inch pioneer speakers that came with the bike are great, even though I have Kenwoods that a fellow recommended on the way.

I also at the moment have 2 speakers on back AIWA that I found at garbage dump, they are not meant for outdoors but sound fabulous with the Pioneers in garage

Perhaps I will just put the Kenwoods at the rear

BTW I did try the hookup that you showed me first couple days ago, but I must have had the negs and pos mixed up

Sounds as good as my truck stereo...UNBELIEVABLE

Steve83":2msx5d2q said:
Excellent! Let the good times - and tunes - roll!

So, what other plans do you have in store for the 1200?

Perhaps a new rear tire... Will see how this upcoming season goes, the 84 has the stator issue, but mine was replaced 5 years ago by previous owner, wires soldered nicely, so will see if I can outlast it, have read up on the poor mans exterior alternator, but because stator is so new will hold off on that

I think my plans are limited to hopefully just cruising , alls good :)

Thanks for asking

Your info on grounding etc did the trick for me, Thanks

Latest posts