Rationalizing Bikes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from a four day tour of the north end of the Island. Good weather and will post pics. Averaged 47 to 50 IMPG on the highway, Victoria '85 LTD working well and comfortable to boot. Often wonder what this bike would be like with a tight drive train and a new fresh engine.

Back to the everyday now. More later.

I have posted my second '85 LTD on three sites for sale: Craigslist, Kijiji, and Used Victoria. Have had some interest by emails, but no firm intentions. Did have an email exchange with one person who would like to make a deal if I do not sell it soon or in the near future. I mentioned that he should contact me when he would like to buy, and of course was told the price was too high at $2200.00 CDN with the following listed:

New AGM battery
Wired for Garmin 350LM GPS including RAM mount
New tires – 7000 Km on them – Shinko Tourmasters
Rebuilt clutch slave cylinder
New clutch safety switch
Ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt front and rear brake calipers
Speed bleeders – allowing for one person work – on brake calipers and clutch slave cylinder
New brake pads
New starter
New starter solenoid
External Alternator mod (Poorboy) installed – 55 amp 3 wire alternator
Dash indicator light installed for alternator
Engine stator still in place and operational if needed
New accessory fuse block installed in rear trunk for additional accessories
New upgraded FIAMMS Freeway Blaster horns with relay
Drive train has been taken apart and lubed with Loctite Moly Paste LB8012
Oil/filter change using synthetic 5W40 oil
Coolant change
Brake and clutch fluids changed
Front suspension upgrade with Progressive springs and new fork oil
Rear air shocks replaced with new Progressive non-air 412 series shocks
Air compressor desiccant refurbished
Air filter replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Engine cylinder banks have been balanced
Engine RPM set for 1000 RPM +/- 100
Engine TPS adjusted IAW OEM service manual and to suit engine cylinder balance and idle settings
Electrical wiring installed for driving lights but not fitted with
Radiator fan manual on/off switch installed with indicator light
Seat has been recovered with new vinyl and additional padding used
Have set of Markland driving boards for bike as well.
Owner's manual, tool kit and full cover
Copy of the OEM service manual, electrical troubleshooting manual, and '85 LTD supplement to go with the bike as well.

It's the game of "You're Asking Too Much" or "Give It To Me For Nothing". I mentioned that I don't have to sell it and that these fuel injected bikes are great. It takes a lot of work and maintenance to get one of these up and running to the condition it is in, and if the work has not been done, it's not a matter of if the work will be needed, but when the work will have to be done. A used older bike can be, but generally is never inexpensive to buy, operate and keep going.

Here in BC there is no motorcycle safety requirement similar to other provinces. I had to have this bike MOT saftied in Ontario that gives credence that it is safe for the road - mechanic had to sign as so. Not a guarantee of longevity but an indication of condition.

Not in a hurry to sell, but won't get another bike until I do. If I have it for a while, there are other items I will address such as the steering stem bearings, another item I consider to be a safety item.

Just a short rant and my thoughts on the issue. Thanks for reading.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204775#p204775:6ygiq4o7 said:
D-50Dave » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:04 am[/url]":6ygiq4o7]
Up the price to $4500 then let them haggle you down to $3000. :mischief:
:good: I second that suggestion! You've already got her in great condition!

Bit the bullet today. Bought a '95 1500 SE, pearl white. Got all the extras I wanted and for a good price which is what I was willing to pay. Here are some pics:

1500 - 1.JPG
1500 - 2.JPG
1500 - 3.JPG
1500 - 5.JPG
1500 - 6.JPG
1500 - 7.JPG

More to follow.

Cheers

Now to see what all the hype about these 1500s being a Cadillac, and not a sports touring bike; however, the PO mentioned that he has surprised a few people with how nimble it can be.

Will have a good ride tomorrow to test it out, not too far just some 130 Kms to bring it to its new home.

Like some of the amenities such as the adjustable passenger foot boards, the cool/warm air vents in the upper fairing, has the lower foot warmer openings as well, reverse, one key locking, lots of lighting but might need to upgrade the alternator to suit.

Have to take the shift foot board off.

Cheers

Sold the Ontario '85 LTD to a younger fellow who has a beard like ZZ Top. I know how this one is going to play out.

Going to get the '95 today. Good road trip for a test drive.

Cheers

hi ernest
you got a nice ride, beautiful colour. wish you many splendid hours with your new toy.

i was just wondering if there is someone who has the complete goldwing familly at home. from the gl1000 to the gl1800 and every version of them. like a museum but being used.

the difference between children and adults is the difference in price of their toys :moped:

greez
joebarteam

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205018#p205018:1zteb7ph said:
JoeBarTeam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:30 pm[/url]":1zteb7ph]
hi ernest
you got a nice ride, beautiful colour. wish you many splendid hours with your new toy.

i was just wondering if there is someone who has the complete goldwing familly at home. from the gl1000 to the gl1800 and every version of them. like a museum but being used.

the difference between children and adults is the difference in price of their toys :moped:

greez
joebarteam

:lust: I have a 78 GL1000, 84 & 85 Interstates, an 86 Aspencade, and an 88 Interstate. If anyone wants to donate a Gl1100 and a Gl1800, I'll make room for them and call the garage a Goldwing museum. :mischief: :whistling:

I thought the quote was "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".

PurpleGL1200I":2udcu32y said:
I thought the quote was "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".

Naw..the correct version is "He who dies with the most toys.....WINS..." :yes:
:hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204995#p204995:ovwyhwqe said:
AApple » July 29th, 2018, 5:34 pm[/url]":eek:vwyhwqe]
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thass PURRRRDY!! :good:

Wait until you see the night pictures - then it's PURRRRDY!!