Re-Painting the Wheels

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I have several Winter projects lined up for my old girl this season; rebuilding the '82 self cancelling turn signal system, removing a Hondaline quick disconnect trunk and adding a Honda 1100 trunk, potentially painting the tank, fenders and covers and adding the OEM pinstripes back on.

In order to do the self cancelling turn signals, I need to remove the installed '81 triple tree (My bike is a restored '82 with lots of '81 parts taken from a wrecked parts bike). I have a replacement '82 triple tree, new to me '82 speedo/tach and gauges, rebuilding my '82 wire harness (currently sitting in a box) and installing a new to me '82 turn signal controller on the handlebars.

To pull the triple tree, I obviously have to pull the front end. While the front wheel is off this time, I would like to spruce it up by re-painting the black. Problem is, I do not know what it looked like originally? Was the black flat, semi or glossy? Was the aluminum shiney at one point or always just a dull finish? I am not planning on powder coating or anything like that, but am think of taping off the tire, pull the rotors, paint the wheel and then Dremel the aluminum clean again.

Thoughts or comments? :headscratch: :popcorn:

It is a semi gloss, a little more on the glossy side but not like regular gloss paint..I think the duplicolor bumper and trim paint would be close, also dupli color has a wheel paint in black but I have never used it so cant say what kind of gloss it has.

Latest posts