Real test ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lew1701

Reaction score
Well, I think I have finally gotten this old bike completely up to snuff. The real test will be right after Labor Day, I'm riding her down to Orlando and back. Hopefully some of you guys who live along the route will be available to rescue me if I've over-estimated my mechanical abilities. :smilie_happy:

:hi: Lew there is one thing that i have learned (maybe the only thing) is that if you dwell on trouble it will follow you...so put all though of trouble out of your mind. :clapping: .. you did a good job and all will be well on your trip.... relax and enjoy... :music2: :party: Bob

I'm always watching and listening closely when first getting out on the road for anything strange, it's become second nature for me.
These bikes are reliable as hell, enjoy the ride. Sounds like a nice trip.

Lew,
Looking at the pic of your 77 brings back fond memories. In the mid 80's I rode a 78 similarly equipped with the Vetter bags and trunk about 4500 miles over two weeks (2 up even) from Illinois to NM, AZ, CO, WY, MT and back across the Dakotas. Have very fond memories of that trip but won't do it in October again. The bike ran like a top and I didn't even have to add a drop of oil. I hope you have the same luck, (and memories of it)

Dave

Great job on the "rehab", Lew! Put a few miles on it around town before heading out, for sure. It'll prolly be just fine, but like Dan says, listen carefully, and maybe doublecheck all of the fasteners.
Good Luck, and enjoy the ride!! :clapping:

I've put around 800 miles on her between tweaks, the farthest in one shot was just over 300 miles. It seemed to do pretty well. There is still a small exhaust leak in the crossover but I don't expect that to cause any problems. Before I take off I will do another oil & filter change, double check gear oil, coolant level, tire pressure and brake fluid, do a double check on the nut and bolt torques. Am I missing anything? If this wasn't going to be a marathon run down there I wouldn't be that concerned, but the plan is to ride down...close on a house...then come straight back.

ive done a lot of marathon runs to orlando on my 79 1000 ......and realy never had any problems to speak of except for tires ......i think it will do fine ....just be carefil not to get squeezed in on pavement transistions as they are pretty tall for bikes :eek:k: :mrgreen:

No interstates on this trip, I've made this trip dozens of times and always on interstates. This time will be all secondary roads. Just because it's only a quick there and back, I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy the ride and see some sights along the way.

If you have already put 800 miles on it , it should be fine.... and sounds like a great trip. .... Enjoy the Ride. :music:

Lew,

I see you're doing the 2-lane thing- I'm with you , bro.

You can ride a thousand miles on the superslab and it all looks the same-

Ride the 2 lane and you really see the country-

I'm in TN right off US 127 and close to US 27 so you're probably coming through my area if you have any problems close to me give me a call- 931-260-3451.

Hope I don't hear from you 'cause that means you had a smooth trip.. Enjoy!!!

lew1701":1a7ohon3 said:
I've put around 800 miles on her between tweaks, the farthest in one shot was just over 300 miles. It seemed to do pretty well. There is still a small exhaust leak in the crossover but I don't expect that to cause any problems. Before I take off I will do another oil & filter change, double check gear oil, coolant level, tire pressure and brake fluid, do a double check on the nut and bolt torques. Am I missing anything? If this wasn't going to be a marathon run down there I wouldn't be that concerned, but the plan is to ride down...close on a house...then come straight back.
I did the same with my '82, fixed and tweaked, fixed and tweaked, adjusted and tweaked and FINALLY actually took it on a real road trip and found that the longer I rode, the better the bike would run until I had complete confidence that unless I ran ou of gas... it would just run and run and run and run!!!! :yahoo:

I've finally got a free minute (house hunting sucks), but the ol girl made the trip like a champ...not even one hiccup. I'll be heading back home Thursday morning, hopefully the luck holds out.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo:
Glad to hear it Lew!!! :good:

Made it home Saturday night...what a week. Would have been perfect if not for all the rain, but the bike ran great. Can't wait until next month...Biketoberfest :party: :yahoo:

Latest posts