Really appreciating my 83

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my ridding buddies is gone for a few months and asked me to take care of his bike and ride it when I wanted to. It is a Honda VTX1300. So for the last couple of days I have ridden it to work. Well it is back in my garage and I’m back on my GW. The VTX is a nice looking cruiser but I can not stand the vibration the V twins have. I don’t want to sling mud at other bikes but riding that for two days really made me appreciate my old 83 interstate. I know it is very hard if not nearly impossible to balance a V twin, but that kind of vibration feels like it is trying to tear the engine apart. Now I know the Ducati 90 degree twin is balanced but I don’t know of any others.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83948#p83948:39tq28xh said:
OldWrench » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am[/url]":39tq28xh] Now I know the Ducati 90 degree twin is balanced but I don’t know of any others.
The '85 and '86 1100 Shadow vee twin had a duel pin crank that balanced the piston firing. For some reason after that Honda decided to go back to the single pin crank for the Harley sound. They also got the Harley vibration! :head bang:
I really liked my '85 Shadow but it didn't have the balance my 83I with that low boxer has.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=83958#p83958:20a8og4c said:
Omega Man » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 am[/url]":20a8og4c]I always loved the ride of my 1100 around town...but never liked it on the freeway, which I'm positive was only due to it's extreme mileage.

~O~

Boy ~O~ is really showin off that PUUUUUUURTY blue ride he's got don't ya think :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:

The '85 and '86 1100 Shadow vee twin had a duel pin crank that balanced the piston firing. For some reason after that Honda decided to go back to the single pin crank for the Harley sound. They also got the Harley vibration!

I wasn't aware that the Shadow had a dual pin crank. As for copying Harley I'll keep my opinion to myself, I get the Harley boys in my shop riled up enough as it is. Another of my riding buddies has a Kawasaki Vulcan and it's vibration isn't bad at all, other than at idle.

I tried finding a comfortable rpm range and there just didn't seem to be one.

Right now I'm trying to convince the wife that an 1800 wing is what we need, that is going to take a lot more convincing. Rented one from Eagle rider for a weekend, wow what a bike.