Rear end wiggle.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhurt

Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve got a 1982 1100, on the highway it sometimes will start to wiggle, not like a steering wiggle but like like my but starts to sway back and forth. It’s not terrible to ride but I am sure I look ridiculous we my rear swaying back and forth. I’ve already done wheel bearings, fork brace, swing arm bearings, stem bearing, new tires. Front fork rebuild.
And now I’m at a loss and tired of throwing money at this thing. Could it be a rear shock issue? It’s been converted to coil over progressive rear shocks but I am sure they are many years old. But could that cause a rear sway? Or could I have got a dud tire? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• E8FF1BC3-5627-4A22-AAF4-A696C4DF17AD.jpeg
    E8FF1BC3-5627-4A22-AAF4-A696C4DF17AD.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
Are you feeling this sway at highway speed? My '82 would get a bad sway at 78 MPH and it turned out I had too much weight on the back of the bike and front would get a lift. At the time, I had a Vetter faring on the bike. I also had new shocks front and rear. There is a weight limit on a fully dressed bike (total for cargo, rider and passenger is 400 lbs per the manual). There are lots of threads on high speed wobble. Just type in the search feature in the upper right hand corner of the page and you can browse all of the findings. My wobble was not only too much weight, but my steering head bearings were loose in the triple tree. Here is the thread on my bike. Just click the link in the box.

https://classicgoldwings.com/threads/high-speed-wobble.6453/

Yes I get it usually when I am cruising around the 65mph area, I don't go much faster than that around here. My bags are usually empty, but I have had it happen alone and with my wife on the back. When it has done it while riding solo I have tried moving my body forward or back to see if weight distribution could help but it didn't make a difference. It seems that once it starts the only way to get it to stop is to slow right down.

I had this same problem on a H-D dresser, and it was the rear tire. When it occurred it was like a slow dance wiggle in the back. The tire was a different brand and tread than I had been running and the problem showed up shortly after putting it on the bike. Changed it to a Dunlop 404 and the problem went away.

Later, Bud...

Is it possible the guy put on the cheapest tire and it’s not actually rated for a Goldwing? Right size just maybe not sturdy enough? Is that even a thing with bike tires?

So the tire is a VEE rubber 190 40 16 77H. Anyone heard of that type of tire or know anything about them... Maybe it is just a rear tire issue.

Hey bhurt I had the exact same problem with my 82. Like you I changed everything plus new tires but nothing worked. I finally got the idea to check the wheels to see if they were true. The factory service manual says 2 mm max. My rear wheel was out 3mm witch doesn't sound like much but that was the problem. The previous owner maybe hit a pothole or something. I changed out both wheels for 83 cast ones cause I like the look.

Latest posts