Rear Tire for '81 Innerstate....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AApple":2xr2zb7m said:
I have a call in to Dunlop, so we'll see what they say, if they even get back to me.

Well...better late than never.....I FINALLY got a response from Dunlop, today....after I've already ordered the tire.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

"Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Dunlop.
The D404 front and rear is recommended.
If you need any further information or assistance, please call or e-mail me.
regards,
Virginia Gallant
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division"

Amazingly enough, no comment on my original question to them about the weight rating of the 404. I guess they gots bigger fish to fry.... :salute:

Yeppers...from Dennis Kirk earlier this week.... :mrgreen:

AApple":1h50sdn2 said:
I just ordered the 404 from Dennis Kirk.... :heat: Even THAT was a PITA! Yeeeeeesh...... :help:

I took my new front tire back to the shop today to have them remount it so the arrow points the right way. The guy was alone and said he has no mechanic there today and that I'd have to wait till Monday. So I left the tire there. He didn't seem too smiley about it. I hope it works out ok so I can contribute a little something to their shop pizza fund.

Just adding my 2 cents worth Joel, I know you got the Dunlop already. But since I returned from my Ohio trip, my Bridgestone Spitfire 11R tires now have over 12,000 miles on them and they still have more than half of their tread left. The load rating is B and the rear is rated for 761 lbs. They grip real good on dry road, but I feel they might slip on wet roads. (At least it felt that way on the PA Turnpike riding through thunderstorms at 60 MPH. Maybe I was just spooked!)

Thanx, Gerry!
I tore into the rear today, to get the rim & tire off. What a pain! :crying: This is one of those things that makes me wish I had a standard, instead of a dresser! :smilie_happy:
Funny thing aboot this tire problem. It has a bulge on the outside, and I thought it would go down when I let the air out...NOT! As a matter o fact, once I got the tire off the rim, I saw it has an equal sized bulge on the inside! And it is still holding air.... :headscratch:
Here's a couple o pics of it before removal....the dang tire still has plenty of tread left, and NO weather cracks either.... :rant:

click image for gallery link

Don't know how many miles is on it, and I didn't even bother looking at the date code. Don't really matter, they don't make the E II in this size anymore anywho... :crying:
IT is a strange failure, fer sher!

phew.gif
Whew!
Got the tire in yesterday, so I went to it tonite, mounting the tire, and re-installing it on the bike, along with the new rear braking pads. That's a far as I got....it's only 102 degrees out there.... :heat: :heat: :heat: I wanted to finish it tonite, but just got too danged hot, plus I want to do some clean-up while I gots all the crap off back there. You know, one of them "While I'm here" deals we all love so much... :smilie_happy:
I'll finish cleanin tomorrow evening, then I'll be back in bidness again! Woo Hooooo!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Got it all back together finally. :heat:
I noticed on the ride to werk this morning a definite difference in the handling and ride with the new tire! :clapping: I guess I was just so used to the way the old tire was that the new one really surprised me. The bike turns much quicker and easier than before. At first, I thought is was "twitchy", but then I decided it was more likely just more responsive. My old tire, while still having a lot of tread left, was flat across the center(like a car tire), where the new tire is rounded. I guess the old one was just way more worn than I thought.
Anywho, I can say without a doubt, the new tire is much more ride-friendly! It is very comfy, and the bike was plenty comfy before. Smoooooooth!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
The main lesson I learned is, that no matter HOW good the "old" tire looks, a new one is better! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Thanks for all of the input on tires ya'll.....it was certainly a help. :thanks: :eek:k:

Latest posts