rear wheel bearing and chassy jacking from shaft drive

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hooches rear wheel bearing went out ...and i started to feel it in rear wheel braking coming off the interstate ....i was hoping so much it was wheel bearing and not the 1200 wheel i milled down to except car tire ....well on that part i was lucky ...pics
image.php

once wheel was off ..wheel parts were in a puddle inside the wheel

image.php

nice coat of regular grease on wheel with 10,000 plus miles on it since last off...

image.php

pulled the drive flange ....and the rest had to be done at power sports in st augustine fla ....the 1200 84 wheel i have was tight and needed a press and some rigging to get off ...the outer races on the bearing were both stuck big time ....well 80$ later and a week and a 1/2 i got my wheel back .....and installed

it was apparent that the bearing were under the same pressure ...one way ...all i can say for sure is that shaft drive one drawback is side pressure on wheel ...from its operation of climing the gear like they do to drive wheel ...im sure in almost all cases this is no problem on stock wings .....hooch has lots of power and can lift wheel off ground ...you can feel the side pressure in gear changes .....this is called chassy jacking ....

id say on 1200 wheels being bad ...from my observation is its the bearing that gose out first then the wheel gets damaged from the slop of still riding around with sloppy bearing ....so i was lucky and wheel was taken off before any damage to wheel was done :heat: :mrgreen:

i forgot this pic
image.php

shows how nice it is ...to have the front ride off stand ...for working on back tire ...just a small sissors jack ...bike sat like this over a week ...before i got my wheel back on :thanks:

there is a o ring that goes on the drive flange ....this is to keep the grease in place and not thrown all over the wheel ...molly 60 grease is not needed if o ring is there ...the pic shows how good the o ring held the grease in place......

actually dave it very easy to do front wheel lift too ...and have done it several times ...the same scissors jack goes right in the center of ride off stand ...then as lifted up..i use two sliding wedges on each front stand outrigger to stabilize ....works fantastic and is super safe ... :builder: .

i was just informed that dave was probably talking wheel lift under power :smilie_happy:

oh well im always seeing things different ....yes dave it has the ability to yank the front wheel off the ground under power ....the bike really a spring stretcher and makes a rather unavoidable sound when the spring top out and wheel come off the ground ....it dosnt do wheelies or anything with me on it ...but wheel dose come off ground ...i mostly just ride as the work involved in this bike is something i dont want to trash treat.... :mrgreen: