Reborn Goldwing Owner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmpotter399

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I guess I am a reborn Goldwing owner. Years ago I had a 1978 GL1000 Standard. I loved that bike but sold it when I moved to Florida. I just recently purchased a 1983 GL1100A Aspencade. She is a work in progress. The guy thought the starter went bad. He read the manual and it said "Remove Engine From Frame". He got scared and I got a GREAT DEAL. SO I have this bike. It doesnt need a starter. Actually needs a starter clutch repair. So I guess a starter would have been better. LOL. Long story a little shorter. I fiddled with it to make sure she ran 100%. Oh boy does it run like a scalded dog. So I put her up in the shed with plans to do the starter clutch, timing belts and all the fun stuff. Also need to repaint. Someone decided to rattle can the whole bike without even sanding first. So I will start a series of posts with progress. Please feel free to make suggestions as I go. I would love to hear other peoples ideas.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• GOLDWING.jpg
    GOLDWING.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 154
yah the starter clutch is a rather big deal really ,,,sort of means motor out deal ..but its great to know the motors strong and the effort is fruitful...sounds like total redo on cosmetics anyway as your are talking ....why do you say the sarter clutch is the problem ...what it doing ?......

oh welcome to classic

When you push the starter button, just hear the starter spinning. Like a "whirring " noise. If you play with it, you can get it to catch it it starts right up. took the cap off the back of the engine and put my finer on the rotor bolt, you can feel the vibrations when you engage the starter. But it doesn't always turn. I pulled the starter and had it tested here at my job. One of the things we do is starter and alternator rebuilding. Its good. I also figure, while the engine is out, replace the stator and the clutch while I am back there.

You could try running 10/30 motor oil in it for a few hundred miles. Might free up the clutch, but it sounds like your going all in pulling motor out for paint anyhow so might as well clean up or rebuild the starter clutch. The better option.

Welcome from Oz
Plus one on the oil change. Mine will free wheel a bit if I shutdown and try to restart staight away. When I stop cranking you can hear the sprag clutch hook up and then it starts next press of the switch. :good:

ok good report ..so your in deep ..sometimes the starter clutch just gets gumed up a bit and doesnt engage as good as it should ..good idea to replace the stator also maybe it seems you got plenty of skill to do the work ....theres also a savenger oil pump hole that can clog up sometimes that pumps oil back to the front of the motor ....if it had supr amount of oil in the rear case might be pluged ..doubtful just spitting out things that in rear cover area...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206849#p206849:34zfka67 said:
Ansimp » Today, 4:15 am[/url]":34zfka67]
Welcome from Oz
Plus one on the oil change. Mine will free wheel a bit if I shutdown and try to restart staight away. When I stop cranking you can hear the sprag clutch hook up and then it starts next press of the switch. :good:

That is pretty much what happens now. Have to hit it a few times. Then you definitely hear a change in the way it sounds. And then it starts with the next push. I have always loved Honda motorcycles. So reliable. I took it for a ride yesterday. Lol. Just around the block. Just to warm it up and go through all the gears. She is completely naked. Just threw the seat on. And boy does she purr....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206851#p206851:g4zeclxx said:
joedrum » 49 minutes ago[/url]":g4zeclxx]
ok good report ..so your in deep ..sometimes the starter clutch just gets gumed up a bit and doesnt engage as good as it should ..good idea to replace the stator also maybe it seems you got plenty of skill to do the work ....theres also a savenger oil pump hole that can clog up sometimes that pumps oil back to the front of the motor ....if it had supr amount of oil in the rear case might be pluged ..doubtful just spitting out things that in rear cover area...

I planned on doing that as well. Just forgot to mention it. I am putting together a parts list that included a come engine gasket set. Also there in timing belts, water pump, thermostat. All the goodies for up front. A bike is only as reliable as you let it be. And I want it to go when I want to go. Already have my colors picked out as well. Slightly off from what the factory red was. I will start a thread today to document what I have done so far with pictures. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Welcome to Classics from PA!

Drain so oil, add some ATF to the oil (about 1/2 quart) and take it for a ride - about a tank full. Then change the oil to see if that cleans up the rear end of the motor any.

Latest posts