Restoration and Preservation '79 Too Fully Dressed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaJim

Reaction score
Hello to all, I received a gentle reminder from Admin that as a member, maybe I should post something. I have preferred to conceal my ignorance, at least until I had turned a wrench or three, but since I've been invited.....

I'm the very proud owner of a '79 showing 51,000. I rode the bike home from P/O, but soon realized it is about as battle scarred and worn as it's new owner. I was dismayed to learn the engine had to come out to replace the stator.

Repair estimates from mechanics who obviously preferred not to become involved in my personal problems, drove me to dig into the manuals and tech tips. A friend and I decided to take it on as our Winter project. I have greatly enjoyed the destruction phase. Other than very tight spaces that are tough for the bi-focals to foculate on, I've pleasantly discovered very few multi-part spring loaded things that unexpectedly go bang.

My plan is to do the obvious, stator, timing belts, water pump, fuel pump, carb rebuild by Pistol Pete's, clutch, gaskets, seals, anything that I can pour my quickly diminishing life savings into. Then I'm going to put it all back together, put the rest of my savings in the tank, and ride till it's gone.

My goal is to ride it to WingDing 2012 in Ft. Wayne. I've discovered a very friendly online family of Wing Heads and look forward to meeting y'all in person. My ride is a real eye catcher, the previous owner spent more for chrome and add-ons than the total price of the naked bike. It's one of those "good grief, who put all that stuff on there and does any of it really work" look, or as I lovingly refer to it, Chromoniously Glorious

I hope to post some photos in the contest once I have it completed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, ride safely,

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

You are right in that these bikes come apart real easy and it doesn't take much more than time and patience to get into them! My then teenage and 12 year old daughters swapped two engines with me already and we had a blast!

Welcome to the CGW Forums, PappaJim!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

PappaJim":wd4o832w said:
I have preferred to conceal my ignorance...

Well now...don't you worry none about that....you have plenty of company, starting with ME! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

You bet I deliver and we got gator, squirrel (your choice red, gray or black) bunny, mutton, fowl, beef, frog and bear!

Wow add another guy from Texas, they are coming out of the woodwork, I may just ride up to that Wingding thingy, that sounds like a good time, maybe I'll have my bike finished by then..Oh hey Welcome to the site...https://www.wing-ding.org/ I may get a room with a swimming pool...

Hay Bev, watch those motel rooms by the pool in the texas and Oaklahoma area. I checked into a motell on the edge of Oak. City. Had a room right next to the pool. Went to bed that night while it was raining. When I woke up in the morning I was in the pool!!! It had rainde so hard that the pool had overfilled and follded all the first floor rooms. I then took aan upstairs room for the rest of my stay. :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy:

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome. I once stayed in a motel in Victoria, TX, we had 9 inches of rain and I walked right off into the pool, water was a foot deep in the parking lot, a little more than that in the pool. BTW, if you want the best results from your road kill, you really should let it age a little longer than a week, especially the buzzards and skunks. It usually takes them a little longer, probably closer to two weeks if you want them to cook up really tender. Don't store them in the direct sun, keep them in the shade to prevent excessive drying. I generally store mine under my neighbors porch, you know the one, the guy that hates the sounds of motorcycles early in the morning!

Have any of you more experienced Wingnuts noticed any direct correlation between owning a Wing and going slightly to moderately insane? Is it normal to find yourself shopping Craigslist for a project bike while you still have one in cardboard boxes? I hope the condition is short lived, I don't have that much garage space!

Must be some form of disease.
I have a parts bike in the yard, my 1100 runner incomplete after putting in 1200 cams and I'm eyeing a local CL ad for a 83 standard.
Garage is filled and no money.

PappaJim":22v6mr59 said:
Have any of you more experienced Wingnuts noticed any direct correlation between owning a Wing and going slightly to moderately insane? Is it normal to find yourself shopping Craigslist for a project bike while you still have one in cardboard boxes? I hope the condition is short lived, I don't have that much garage space!
Ahhh....that is called MPBWOGS (Multi Project Bike With Out Garage Space) syndrome! :shock: Very difficult to treat with normal medical procedures!! We have a secret clinic thread on this forum that treats this condition.......but because it is secret......we can't seem to find it anymore! :hihihi: :whistling: :help:

I knew it wouldn't be long before the crazies came out.... :smilie_happy: what about Joe... :smilie_happy: Can you imagine ha ha ha....I like my road kill on a stick or in a taco... :Egyptian:

Thanks and good luck to you as well. What problems are you having? One thing these old things have in common is being old, so I figure it never hurts to know about problems others are having.

Motorcycles are addicting enough but these wings are in a class of their own it seems. Apparently there is no cure for it either.

no garage, no spark.cdi is sopposed to be bad but haven't been able to check anything for sure just got some snow today.so i got to wait for warmer weather. then i got to go and starty checking other things. it shows 42000 on the speedo.so i'm hopeing for the best.