Restoring an old GL1100

Help Support ClassicGoldWings:

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 GoldWing Aspencade Gl1100A
1999 BMW K1200LT
After pulling out my steel bar (The But Buster) I was able to break loose both sides and get the swingarm free

Use an amen wrench in the bolt side. The lock but will come with it. Or at least mine did.
The person before me used something wired and fused the metal of the bolt and the nut. The Allen was the only way I was able to get the thing off.

Thank you all for the help/suggestions.

biker

Reaction score
After pulling out my steel bar (The But Buster) I was able to break loose both sides and get the swingarm free

The person before me used something wired and fused the metal of the bolt and the nut. The Allen was the only way I was able to get the thing off.

Thank you all for the help/suggestions.
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make it work!

Attachments

• Green Red.JPG
    Green Red.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 24

mcgovern61

Reaction score
While you have the bike at this level, block the rear and check the underside of the centerstand for any bulging or rust. If the centerstand is perfectly straight, there might not be any issues. However, if you see any misshapen form, it is twisting and failing (common on the 1100's).

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1999 BMW K1200LT
Any updates on the restoration? I hope everything is going smoothly.
Actually have made a ton of progress. The engine has been completely disassembled and is being cleaned at the moment. I have been trying to decide on what color I was my plastics and fake tank. (Have been thinking about purple).

i rebuilt all the brakes and the forks and will hopefully be reassembling it all in a few week. I will post some photos of it once I get it clean.

I do have some questions on where to find some things: air hoses / connectors for Aspencade shocks (should I use normal shocks), where do I find fork ears? Do I have to use crappy aftermarket ones?

Also wonder if I should paint my engine or polish the crap out of?

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1999 BMW K1200LT
I am talking to a machine shop near me to see if they can clean it for me to paint. I honestly didn't know you could even paint them till I found this engine painted.

Latest posts