runs with a miss

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunfighter60

Reaction score
Since I have had this wing I have had the carbs rebuilt,plugs ,condensor, coils, etc etc, but it still misses especially around 2500 rpms. Local mechanic (soso) has charged me over $800 so far and still hasnt fixed the problem. A friend of mine says the valves not set right will cause this. Anyone know if this is right or not.

I would check ignition first.
If you still have points it could be out of time or a bad condenser.

Could also be corroded connections at the coils or plug caps.

What has been done so far chasing the problem?
What is the history of the bike, coming out of hibernation?

Do a compression check and adjust the valves.
Compression readings give us a good baseline to work from.

Welcome. Short answer- yes. Tight valves can cause a miss. As can a bad plug wire, plug, resistor cap, points, fuel issue and the list goes on. What has this expensive meck a nick done? What have you done? When was the last full tune up? From here I cannot hear see or smell the bike. We need more information.

The bike has had the carbs completely rebuilt and synked, rejetted, new plug wires and plugs, new coils,and he messed with it for two weeks trying to tune the carbs just right but never touched the valves. He did clean all the electric connections and found a couple that were not real good and fixed them. $400 later and it doesnt run any better than the first time I took it to him and spent $300. I bought the bike with 15,000 miles on it and rode it for about 100 miles till one of the valves went down thru the piston. (OUCH) Then I put a 76 motor in it and have been having problems ever since.

Valve adjustment is easy, we have a good tutorial here by Roady. Do that next.

Boy, a lot has been done which means a lot needs to be checked over.

When you say "misses" describe that better.
Is it popping?
Does it spit out the carbs?
Does it backfire out the exhaust?
Do you feel an actual "missfire" when riding it?

gunfighter60":3vzg8nuo said:
I bought the bike with 15,000 miles on it and rode it for about 100 miles till one of the valves went down thru the piston. (OUCH)

Any more details on how this happened?

Then I put a 76 motor in it and have been having problems ever since.

Did you install the '76 motor yourself? Might help.

Yes I installed the motor myself and the miss is just jerking a little but mostly between 2000 and 3000 rpms. No backfiring or anything like that just an agravating miss that jerks a little evry once in a while. Full throttle runs great thats why we thought the carbs were the problem or plugs but thats been adjusted many times with out success, Really has me baffled. Thanks for the responses fellows, dont know how much being in a helpfull club means.

Sounds definately more like ignition than valves too tight but do adjust the valves.

Full throttle runs good but not at 2-3k rpm tells me something not right with the points, maybe ignition timing off, maybe points are shorting when the advancer plate moves, something like that.

What is the compression btw?

Has the air/fuel mix been adjusted properly? It's sounding to me like its more of a stumble or flat spot in acceleration. Were stock jets used in rebuilding the carbs or were they resized? Has the air filter box been modified?

Good point slabghost.
Could his problem be the notorious off idle flat spot?
I'm not familiar with the fix but doesn't it have something to do with shimming the primary needle jet rod?

could be as simple as changing the air filter or adjusting the air/fuel mix a bit. 3000 rpm is about the transition point in these carburetors.

Just put in 2 sets of new points and adjusted the valves (4 to tight) and the problem went away so thanks for all the advise guys. Now I can go enjoy my Wing

Score one for electronic ignitions!
Glad that's all it was, but like Dan said, the "local mechanic" should have checked that first...maybe he's too young to remember things that had a points type ignition? :smilie_happy:

AApple":313moec4 said:
Score one for electronic ignitions!
Glad that's all it was, but like Dan said, the "local mechanic" should have checked that first...maybe he's too young to remember things that had a points type ignition? :smilie_happy:
I sure do miss working with points and hands on ignition! I know that it seemed like you would be making adjustments all the time, but it was fun!

what you have described is due to the timing excentricity of the cam , because it fires a spark even on the exhaust stroke . if you have electronic ignition move one of the cams ever so slightly one way (advance) or the other (retard) and i do mean slightly , its whats known as a "soft knock" to honda mechanics and fixing it is a bugger of a task but with a little bit of patience you can cure it to a reasonably acceptable nuisance .conventional points just move the back plate again only slightly.

britwinger":g5z9nv7j said:
what you have described is due to the timing excentricity of the cam , because it fires a spark even on the exhaust stroke . if you have electronic ignition move one of the cams ever so slightly one way (advance) or the other (retard) and i do mean slightly , its whats known as a "soft knock" to honda mechanics and fixing it is a bugger of a task but with a little bit of patience you can cure it to a reasonably acceptable nuisance .conventional points just move the back plate again only slightly.
I would be REAL INTERESTED in any information or explanation you have for "soft knock"!! We have a thread on unexplained "knocking" and any insight...especially from honda mechanics would be real valuable!

viewtopic.php?p=8248#p8248