Saddlemen seat experience?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindNWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a seat replacement for my '83 Interstate and am considering this Saddlemen double bucket kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/390503813419?ss ... 1423.l2649
I read a review somewhere that the higher back interfered with the backrest on the trunk lid to the point they couldn't simply lay it over on the seat when opened. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as long as it didn't restrict the open height of the lid to the point of being a problem.
My question is, do any of you have experience with this seat?

Gary, looking at the pics in your gallery, I don't think the rear of the Saddleman seat would be much taller, if any, than what you have now. Just judging from the pics. If you had the smaller backrest on the trunk, it wouldn't be a problem at all, I don't think, but the larger backrest you have might actually come into contact with the new seat, but I doubt it would keep the trunk from opening completely.
My trunk lid sits on the top of my backrest when opened, but it still opens plenty far enough(well over 90 deg) to get stuff in/out with no problems.

btw...that's a dang good deal on the seat kit!! Be sure to let us know how easy/hard it is to install, if ya get it. :good:

We shall see, I just ordered it.
My back seat is 4" higher than the front seat but it only raises 2", the front seat raises 5 3/4". The rear seat on the Saddlemen loks like it drops to only about 2" above the front seat so maybe there will be less interference with the trunk lid than I thought.
I'll let you know how the install goes.

the 1100 seats are tricky and must be model (and sometimes year) specific, as far as just the saddleman cover option goes

pretty sure the 82 aspy seat was like no other and wasn't listed

pretty sure they all (1100 line) have the same plastic base, but the foam padding can be contoured quite diff

It arrived today and I like the looks of it. Just holding it up next to the original seat, it looks like the interference with the trunk lid will be minimal.
With Christmas, Grandkids and New Year here, don't know when it will get mounted. When That time comes, I'll post pictures with a review. Thanks for the comments.

Gary, I'm interested in some pic's and info on how the seat cover install went?

Thanks

I have the saddleman roadsofa on my 83
It was a bit tight,but I installed a trunk relocation kit and the misses appreciates the extra room.
I love the seat,a bit stiff at first,could be do to the gel insert,but I learned to love the support after the first 100 miles.

It is wider,and the rear tends to crown outward rather than tapper inward like the stock seat.Luckily I ordered it with the back rest because the back rest I had would not of fit.It also sits higher,which is easier on the legs,yet somehow is no hader to each the ground.

I would definiatly buy another,huge improvement from stock.

Attachments

• sidecovers 001.JPG
    sidecovers 001.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 195
82a":3ax6m2du said:
the 1100 seats are tricky and must be model (and sometimes year) specific, as far as just the saddleman cover option goes

pretty sure the 82 aspy seat was like no other and wasn't listed

pretty sure they all (1100 line) have the same plastic base, but the foam padding can be contoured quite diff

I believe the 80-82 are the same,but the 83 is a longer seat and pan than the previous 1100s

Guys, sorry I took so long to complete the posting. I have a long list of reasons, most of which were fun.
I hated giving up my original (comfy) seat.
When I bought the bike most of the seams were letting go and there was no stitching at all left in the diamond pattern of the seat. Over a period of two days, I completely re-stitched it by hand using the original needle holes so as not to perforate a tear line. Unfortunately it was weather cracking along the bottom and it finally split all the way through. :head bang:
(You can click on any of the thumbnails if you want to see the full sized picture)
The saddleman cover and foam I purchased on Ebay ($113.00/free shipping) was a good fit and easy to mount I used binder clips to hold it in place and fastened with aluminum pop rivets and washers.
The foam rubber was very rigid and had several small blisters on the surface which I trimmed off, well all but one I happened to miss and it was in the most obvious place. Look at the bottom center of this picture.
However that one must have been a very thin skinned bubble which burst because it is completely gone now.
I saw mention earlier that the Saddleman was a “firm” seat. Mine is like setting on a log. I have about 500 miles in the seat now and the firmness doesn’t really seem to be a problem although my longest ride so far is only around 50 miles. What it will feel like on a longer ride is yet to be seen.
I really like the looks of it and my concern that it might interfere with the trunk lid opening was unfounded. The seat sets about a full inch lower than my original seat which lets me get my feet flat on the ground with a 30" in-seam.
My old backrest had a large diamond pattern which looked odd next to the small diamond pattern in the seat so I decided I would try my first attempt at recovering. I am very pleased at how it turned out.
Maybe someday I’ll rip the bottom panel off my old seat and replace it and get that comfy seat back on the bike.

Gary- I would also like to recover my backrests (passenger and driver) to match the smaller diamond pattern on the seat.

When you say you recovered it yourself, did you mean you did the cutting and sewing and all?

Retroyz":1ey209ad said:
Gary- I would also like to recover my backrests (passenger and driver) to match the smaller diamond pattern on the seat.

When you say you recovered it yourself, did you mean you did the cutting and sewing and all?

Yes I did. in fact I covered it without removing the old cover in case it all went south on me it would still have a usable cover. I think it would be much easier to remove the old cover and rip out the stitches and you would have the perfect pattern pieces.
I used my wife's standard sewing machine and it surprised me how well it handled the marine vinyl. I'm not sure my methods would work for anyone else. For example I used an antique bevel square to layout the diamond pattern to match the seat and snapped chalk lines for the seams. :smilie_happy: If you're looking for specifics of the construction, PM me and I'll try to answer any questions.

Thanks Gary, that answered a lot of questions so I think I got it. My drivers back rest (it is the the kind that inserts into the seat) is huge - it looks ridiculous and is actually uncomfortable. I like a small backrest that sits below the shoulder blades. It matches the diamond pattern on the seat but I just want it smaller. I think I will try to take apart, cut down the base and the material and re-stitch it. I have a new sewing machine that I used once but I think I might try it.

I might also do the pasenger backrest, which still has the large diamond patter on it, but I might need more diamond stitch material or sew it in like you did.

Since it keeps on runnin it seems I will be riding it for a while yet so it may as well look good.

Nice job Gary. I bought the complete seat from Saddlemen and really love it. At first it seemed a bit too firm but has molded in very well and is really comfortable. My wife likes it much more than the original.

Type in "GL1100 Saddlemen" in the ebay search bar and you should find what you are looking for.

Latest posts