Shorter windshild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindNWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just cut my windshield down by 8 /2" to just below eye level. I love it! The high windshield was nice for warmer winter rides but I always wear a full face helmet and on a hot summer's day, my hair was soaked with sweat. I get nice air now and I can still hunker down just a bit and be below the wind. :Egyptian:
littlebeaver's lake ride video and his short windshield convinced me to go for it. :thanks:

No matter how many times I check my posts, I always seem to leave a typo or two. :head bang:
it was 8 1/2" removed.
I used construction paper to trace the radius and side angles at the corners then laid out a line 8 1/2" down from the top. I taped the tracings on the front to meet the top line and side angle and since it is wider at that point I added a sheet to connect the two to give me the straight line across the top. With the front fully covered by paper, that side went down and I cut it on a small 12" bandsaw. I was surprised how well it cut, I just went slow and allowed the saw to cut clean.
I use a belt sander very lightly to remove all the saw marks and then hand sanded with fine paper to bring it to a smooth flat edge then rolled the edges to match the original sides.
I just wish I had done this When I first got the wing.

I'm 6' 5 & 1/2" tall........and the edge of my stock windshield is already right at my eye level , and I have been thinking about looking for a taller one.... but, maybe I should just keep what I have if you like it better.

sledge":2x3a2hoa said:
I'm 6' 5 & 1/2" tall........and the edge of my stock windshield is already right at my eye level , and I have been thinking about looking for a taller one.... but, maybe I should just keep what I have if you like it better.

I suppose it's personal preference but you can see from my avatar that my windshield was well above my head. I was simply getting no air. I could kick my feet all the way to the outside of the road pegs and deflect a little air inside the fairing but nothing up around my helmet.

You have about 10 1/2" on me in height, I'm guessing you're meeting your windshield about the same as I am my shortie.

Yes , Eye Level ......... :head bang: I have been thinking about looking for the Taller Windshield . :smilie_happy:

I would love to see a picture of the finished shorty.
I have a tall wrap around I like in the spring and fall,but switch to the stock one in the summer.I want to trim down the stock one a few inches.

The '83 i bought a little while ago, The windshield has been cut short as well. Right now its at just the right height where its deflecting too much air on my helmet causing extra buffeting. I need to either cut it shorter and have a real shorty shield or get a taller one

Since i have one of those great big over sized wind plow windshields just for winter im voting for cutting it shorter. I would just take it off completely if it wouldn't look so goofy

Tory":2p0soanp said:
I would love to see a picture of the finished shorty.

The windshield went from 22 1/2" to 14". I am 5' 7" and after riding, I found that the wind is still deflected to about 1" above the top of my helmet. Depends on how hot is is this summer, I may shorten it another inch or two.

Attachments

• shortie.jpg
    shortie.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 141
I did that samething a few years ago using a bandsaw[finetooth] and all, it made a big difference for me for riding at night, I could look over the top, sometimes the glare from the lights bugged me before, looking over the top maybe not so bad now.. My stock shield is a bit old, I put a brand new slipscreen shield on today[$64, ebay] just a few minutes ago, and I put my classic's sticker on the front...you wanta have some fun take your screen off and run around without..cool stuff..Nice job cutting your shield down, looks great..

W N W
Looks great,Im 5'9" and my RoadSofa sits a little higher than the stock saddle,so I may not go quit so far,Ya know,measure once cut twice.

Andrew
There should be an inch or so of adjustment you could play with maybe?

I'm 5'9" and enjoy the tall windshield in winter and Summer . Keeps the cold off and in the summer deflects the blast furnice effect of 105+ degree days of summer . Gonna be looking for a shorty for the nice days tho . Hope ya'll remember yer mothers today . :salute:

littlebeaver":z8prw0vo said:
I did that samething a few years ago using a bandsaw[finetooth] and all, it made a big difference for me for riding at night, I could look over the top, sometimes the glare from the lights bugged me before, looking over the top maybe not so bad now.. My stock shield is a bit old, I put a brand new slipscreen shield on today[$64, ebay] just a few minutes ago, and I put my classic's sticker on the front...you wanta have some fun take your screen off and run around without..cool stuff..Nice job cutting your shield down, looks great..
I bought the same slipscreen windshield on Ebay for $65. My old one was the original wraparound one that was dull and swirled from the previous owner using glass cleaner on it. I had the old one cut down 5 inches shorter at a glass shop for $20, I also drilled 3/8 inch holes 2 inches in from the sides at the bottom. I was able to see over it much better and much more air flow in the hot weather.

Latest posts