Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive Holley,Weber 740 carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well pistol Pete is no joke ...and is probably the best oldwing stock carb guy ever ...and I’m sure his son has seen more super stock carb work than about anyone on the planet ...and is as good as his dad..my opinion on stock carbs is on a fresh motor there designed to work with they are pretty dam good ...but with all CV carbs once compression and vac signal gets off on older motors carbs get off ..SCC seems to help here here big time keeping gas charge consistently the same as they feed all four pistons ...over four carbs feeding one piston each ...working off vac signal and different slide setting at given RPM ..in my opinion ..

I agree, and I still like the SCC setup for simplicity and reliability. I just need to get another bike so that I can have one to ride, and another to experiment with! :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214599#p214599:2wltfvgw said:
Dirt Road Cowboy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:01 am[/url]":2wltfvgw]
I agree, and I still like the SCC setup for simplicity and reliability. I just need to get another bike so that I can have one to ride, and another to experiment with! :hihihi:
I have a few Webers laying around but never got around to doing this mod. This SCC mod, a better alternator and axe the stator, the C-5 ignition mod and I think you'd have a good touring ride.

:whistling: Too bad you were not closer, I'd let my 1980 GL1100i go just to free up space. Needs front forks and the carbs reworked/replaced.
Not trying to turn this into a Classifieds Advert. :Doh2:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214599#p214599:2zafkdpb said:
Dirt Road Cowboy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm[/url]":2zafkdpb]

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mpo ... 62414.html

I can't believe there are no GL1100s for sale in the Houston area.!!

Wow I was just screwing around a bit with my c5 ignition today ...and put it back on stock timing advance ....and go ride it ....well seemed to do fine ...till I kick in the secondary barrel on carb ...sheesh it wouldn’t even go at all just bog down wow ....so carb dial in like it is will not run on stock timing advance ....goes to show you how things can change hugely ....stock timing advance on my c5 is lowest setting ...I went back to the most advanced setting ...huge difference the timing advance can make on carb is all I got to say ...I’ve never mess with the lower setting much but last time I did years ago ..I remember I didn’t like it then either ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214598#p214598:3gu68wvy said:
joedrum » November 25th, 2019, 10:29 am[/url]":3gu68wvy]
Well pistol Pete is no joke ...and is probably the best oldwing stock carb guy ever ...and I’m sure his son has seen more super stock carb work than about anyone on the planet ...and is as good as his dad..my opinion on stock carbs is on a fresh motor there designed to work with they are pretty dam good ...but with all CV carbs once compression and vac signal gets off on older motors carbs get off ..SCC seems to help here here big time keeping gas charge consistently the same as they feed all four pistons ...over four carbs feeding one piston each ...working off vac signal and different slide setting at given RPM ..in my opinion ..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought with the stock Goldwing CV carb, each carb's slide is dependent on the vacuum being produced by the cylinder, and the vacuum connection on the #3 carb is only used for the vacuum advance for the ignition.

Am I mistaken?

No your exactly right ...this is why I don’t like the stock system personally ...each carb has a slide spring ..they must equal ...each slide has resistance in its working ..that must be equal ...each cylinder must equal in vac signal also ...there is no way to adjust these things ....so the statement of everything effects everything is so true in stock carbs ...so many things are in play to get a even gas charge ....let alone the CV system is just late to act system...as gas is the last thing to happen ...when it should be first thing to happen ....if you go back in time when most bikes were all cable slide operated and then manufactures all went CV carbs ...people would change them out to earlier cable operated cause they were better and faster acting than CV carbs ...to bad oldwings didn’t have better carb system ...but before oldwings were made ..the CV carb system had taken over ....

When I first started trying the SCC on the hooch bike ...i had it hook up ..it wasnt doing all that great I had some problems..can’t remember what ...but I trick it to run right ...when I heard how fast it revved up over stock carbs I was use to in the past ...I never look back or ever used stock carbs again ever ..just way to slow in response...it was the first time I could actually see how slow CV carbs response is ...compared to a strait carb .of gas first ...not last like CV carbs are ...

This SCC mod is the first step in getting a good running bike.

The next step up is going Fuel Injection. You can get 2 sets of Suzuki Burgman 650 throttle bodies and make runners to mount them where the stock CV carbs were. Then wire in a 'Mini-Squirt' controller to fire all 4 injectors. Go with the 2003 to 2006 up Burgman throttle bodies as they have idle adjustments and the 2007 up have computer controlled idle and need an O-2 sensor for closed loop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-SUZUKI-BURGM ... SwFdFcZWiy

Hmmm that’s neat info Dave ....as of now I like the self regulating of the strait carb ...if there dialed in they are hard to beat and need n othing to regulate them .... hmmmmm time for a turkey day ride ...weather here is wonderful ...I’m off...

Wow ..I’m still amazed ...sheesh ...just got back from a ride ...and the bike is on the the most advanced custom timing curve we programmed in the c5 ignition ..and the carb worked great ...I was thinking maybe it was trashed up a bit yesterday causing the secondary not to work on the stock oldwing advance curve ..but no the bike performed well...I guess this is pure proof how hard it is to get a good dial in ...the jetting on my carb is huge over the way it was for car use ....except for the idle witch was always way to rich ...to the point I had too make a idle circuit myself small enough to work ...

Anyway all motors are different and just changing the timing advance made my carb. Way off to the point the secondary wouldn’t work at all ....wow touchy it is LOL

Well we know the pistons top out taller in the sleeves on a 1200 motor over 1000s and 1100 motors ...not a lot but some ...cams and heads are aggressive...pistons are notched ..I’d say the whole idea that stock carbs won’t wont on this motor is sure sign it’s way different than stock oldwing set up ...this is about the same thing ...who would think stock advance curve would change things so much that carb secondary wouldn’t kick in ...Secondary carbs are hard to get right ...I’ve had a couple cars with progressive linkage 6 packs on them three two barrel carbs ...I can remember messing with then a lot to get them right ...but oh my once you did they would really put out and go ...it seems I’ve got hooch as good as I had my tri power Pontiac 400 I had in my 68 firebird ..just all go no bad spots ...

I post posted all this just to say there is no easy simple plug and play SCC set up each bike will have to be worked on ...in this thread a page back or so there is mention of me dial in a VW Carb at a meet and greet .. I was like drunk as I could be and me and JPwinger put the manifold on then carb and dial it in ...I hardly remember doing it LOL..HE RODE IT FOR YRS ...but it seems the carbs have different behaviors between brands and others have huge trouble ...same goes with DFT carbs many clones made by different companies..mines a motorcraft ...there also hollies ..and of course Weber’s ..maybe others also ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214647#p214647:1ee54u2l said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 3:17 am[/url]":1ee54u2l]
No your exactly right ...this is why I don’t like the stock system personally ...each carb has a slide spring ..they must equal ...each slide has resistance in its working ..that must be equal ...each cylinder must equal in vac signal also ...there is no way to adjust these things ....so the statement of everything effects everything is so true in stock carbs ...so many things are in play to get a even gas charge ....let alone the CV system is just late to act system...as gas is the last thing to happen ...when it should be first thing to happen ....if you go back in time when most bikes were all cable slide operated and then manufactures all went CV carbs ...people would change them out to earlier cable operated cause they were better and faster acting than CV carbs ...to bad oldwings didn’t have better carb system ...but before oldwings were made ..the CV carb system had taken over ....

Unless the engine is shot, or the valves are completely out of adjustment, shouldn't the pull from each cylinder be basically the same? Each cylinder displaces the same amount, and it's going to pull gas from the easiest place to get it, which should be from the intakes.

I do agree the CV carbs are slower acting. Not otherwise a bad system, IMO, although it seems like you disagree. I have two slide carbs, but those are for two cycle engines and are quite primitive at that.

Hmmmmm so called primitive is not a super bad set up ....on The CV carbs of an oldwing there is just no adjustments on the most creditable parts of the operation system ...I do agree the slide and needle carb system is primitive ..when compared to a DFT weber progressive linkage two barrel carb system that has so many adjustments and control of gas charge that can fit the entire motor rpm range with great gas charge delivery...