Single Carb Manifold with EMPI Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, and I can sell this carb to raise the funds for the 2 barrel, just need to get the stuff together for a price check. But one of my cycle customers has a VW Bug that needs a carb sooo....hmmmm

kool,glad to hear,of others.out there.do-in,this.. :music: :music: :moped: :ahem:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 152
WEll I was saving for a 32/32, but the bike died.

It has been dragging really bad in first, and way to groany. But it was getting better, and was told its a normal GL1000 noise from a long time owner. I just finished dialing in the carb, and was on a nice ride. As I got back to the house, I started to downshift, when she hit first, the rear tire locked up as the engine died after a long thunk happened in the motor. And she started puking oil and coolant.

Not sure of the extent of damage, but since it down, might as well start over I guess. For now I still have the trusty Hyosung for my daily rider, and I have a lot of service work coming in. Once I get some cash saved up, I am likely going to buy something newer and smaller.

But I have lots of GL parts free now, let me know if you are interested. This had nothing to do with the manifold (could have been aggravated by the extensive test runs) but I think it was just her time to go, and the PO was very hard on the bike. I know that from the amount of work I had to put in her.

bottom of the block, behind the filter and oil pan, she puked out on the shop floor so I have to get that dried up the rest of the way before I crawl around, but its terminal, I am sure of that.

I sold the carb (well I am holding it) for a customer with an actual bug that needs a new ticker, but I will let the manifold go for like 70 if anyone is interested in it.

I am thinking of getting another wing but looking at a Valkyrie if I can work the price down, or I might pull the trigger on an FB6 that is being sold repo'd by the bank. I want one good machine to use for my house calls, and the GL1000 was going to be that rig, but now its time to move on a guess.

Its not over, I am just looking at newer blood. I have always loved the Wings, but I want something with classic lines, or the damn FB6 is positively haunting in its matte black glory. I still have some other lines in the works, but right now it kind of hurts to look at the old wings.

yea, sad day...but I am going to look at an 1100 at a car dealer in town, he said its a really clean bike, letting it go for 500.

I broke my one golden rule when I bought this bike, they at least need to pop off or roll over for me to buy. I have to hear the motor in some way. I disregarded it cause the bike was in great shape, but once I got ionto the carbs, the poor repairs were obvious, and I guess that chained through to the rest of the motor, goes to show you if you do maintenance, things last a long time. If you dont, they dont last at all.

Yea, I think for now I am going to concentrate on my business, its peak season here, and I am considering taking Harley's for added revenue. I am very familiar with the Evo and Shovelhead, I know my way around a big twin, but the brand new bikes I try to avoid. So much liability at risk if something went wrong so the local dealer is more equipped to deal with those issues and handle that liability. But today I will start filling the shelf space I made in my camper trailer project, and will ahve detailed pics, and start getting them out on FleaBay. Once I raise a grand or so I can go looking for a runner, maybe a naked one, all sorts of things are catching my eye, I would really love to have another GL650, rare bird, but they are a neat bike.

And there is the one factor about the goldwings that other bikes cannot match, there is nothing like the stability and firmness of the well tuned goldwing, they are not nimble quick little things that get blown all over the road, up here in ND, wind is a major factor, and the size and mass of the GL's handle the wind quite well. That is the strong suit that will likely draw me back, its not the summer riding that I so much want it for, its the early and late seasons when the wind is fast and cold that having that protection and added mas is a huge advantage over other bikes, so the experience is not over, we just hit a hiccup, and I gambled on a non-running barn find when I had a chance to buy a newer running bike with service records that I should have bought.

FYI - We have a great Member here that is selling his fully dressed '83 that has basically had everything done to it and is otherwise in mint condition EXCEPT, he had a valve let go. The dressing and items on this bike are amazing (seen it myself!)

Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=112699#p112699

I will footnote this as saying that I came close. But after reviewing the design, I have opted to start from scrath, the correct way. And pursue this from another angle.

2 Barrel, custom manifold, Grab Bar runners, type 4 manifold, 32/32 progressive stovebolt, and metal brushed steel bell air cleaner.

SO much to do.

Tomorrow, I start a barn refresh on an 82 gs650, its clean, and the PO said he drained the carbs. I hope I hope, needs an RR and the new battery has a completely empty center cell and they are curious why it wont hold a charge, hmm I wonder?

Weather checked front tire, its young...oh they drilled the barrel out of the rear mounted seat latch. Yea, I really hate it when they do that.

Than a virago 920 TI for restoration estimates.

Than an 84 Virago 1000 for the same reason, but committed to the awakening, have a few earl changes tomorrow too, I will be breaking some bread this sabbath....

Could you share the float level setting you had to do in order to stop hydrlock on the center stand please? I just put an empi on mine, and have exactly that same problem, even though I rebuilt and leak tested it before putting it on the bike. Seems to just be the angle it sits at while on the side stand which is giving me trouble.

BTW sorry your bike died. Motors are cheap, I'm Surprised you wouldn't just put in a new one.

I might want to buy your intake if you still have it too. I am using a PVC manifold I made which is fine, working great, but that's a good price on yours.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140609_162607.jpg
    IMG_20140609_162607.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts