Single Carb Manifold with EMPI Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just thinkin about it it seems you would have to lower float level to the point the gas could not leap over when on the angle ...but i dont have that carb ...just throwing my penny out there ....nice looking pvc set up

83gl,did i miss the making of your manifold?sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122783#p122783:3dfn41hz said:
Dusterdude » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:26 am[/url]":3dfn41hz]
83gl,did i miss the making of your manifold?sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's written up on another site, naked wing site, under GL1100 Cheap E-Z Single Carb Conversion. Not my design, I just copied dkl's second type in that thread, but thanks for the compliments. Worked well and balanced well. Costs $40 to make.

yes i seen the build there and at saunders... i think it nice pvc build ... single carb stuff has really taken on all forms of ways ... ive seen one pvc build deal blow completely apart from a back fire ... so getting the carb right is really important in my opinion .....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122798#p122798:1eg5xvvu said:
joedrum » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 am[/url]":1eg5xvvu]
yes i seen the build there and at saunders... i think it nice pvc build ... single carb stuff has really taken on all forms of ways ... ive seen one pvc build deal blow completely apart from a back fire ... so getting the carb right is really important in my opinion .....

I'd like to see the blown up example, if you recall where that was. I don't think this design would blow up though. This design is pretty tough, and I'd think a backfire should just shoot out the top of the carb, but it would be interesting to see that. This uses flex pvc so there is some give to it that a rigid pvc manifold wouldn't have. Rigid would be more likely to crack open in a backfire I would think.

this happen over at a friend of mine house ... it was made to power a generator ... the carb cant remember what kind ...but it was a two barrel carb where both barrels worked together ... the guy spraye starter fluid in it .... and try to start it ... i wasnt there ... but it exploded and the whole deal caught on fire burning up the wiring and all ... whats left of it is in my doghouse shop ... had a meet and greet here many saw it ...but now ive rob so many parts off the deal manifold is gone ... but it was proof to me i did not want to build with pvc ... when i later went to building a new fuel system for the mod bike i built that would not run on any honda stock racks ... do i think it was his fault ...yes ...it blew the carb completely off yanked the gas line off the gravity feed tank and fire was everywhere ... he just bought it to me and said i could have it ... since then i set him up with a pto powered generator that will go any where the tractor will ... it is a 24000 KW generator and make some serious power three phase and single phase

i did not build this manifold or select carb or anything ...he did

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122805#p122805:1w1dgny1 said:
dan filipi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am[/url]":1w1dgny1]
I've never heard of flexible pvc pipe.
Where did you get it?

flexpvc.com

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122804#p122804:2xmthnlx said:
joedrum » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:11 am[/url]":2xmthnlx]
this happen over at a friend of mine house ... it was made to power a generator ... the carb cant remember what kind ...but it was a two barrel carb where both barrels worked together ... the guy spraye starter fluid in it .... and try to start it ... i wasnt there ... but it exploded and the whole deal caught on fire burning up the wiring and all ... whats left of it is in my doghouse shop ... had a meet and greet here many saw it ...but now ive rob so many parts off the deal manifold is gone ... but it was proof to me i did not want to build with pvc ... when i later went to building a new fuel system for the mod bike i built that would not run on any honda stock racks ... do i think it was his fault ...yes ...it blew the carb completely off yanked the gas line off the gravity feed tank and fire was everywhere ... he just bought it to me and said i could have it ... since then i set him up with a pto powered generator that will go any where the tractor will ... it is a 24000 KW generator and make some serious power three phase and single phase

i did not build this manifold or select carb or anything ...he did

oh ok. thanks
That would suck, I'll keep that in mind.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122811#p122811:2tnr0q4k said:
83gl1200 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:49 am[/url]":2tnr0q4k]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122805#p122805:2tnr0q4k said:
dan filipi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am[/url]":2tnr0q4k]
I've never heard of flexible pvc pipe.
Where did you get it?

flexpvc.com
Oh ok, that stuff.
Cool.

I can imagine that poor person likely had a major code brown moment after that backfire, that would bwe my luck!

LOL...

Yea, my set up better be explosion proof. Like my mom used to say "Its Kraig's addendum to Murphy's Law! IF it can happen, it will, to Kraig" ... ROFL

Im glad you mentioned the backfire issue and explained what happened with the carb shooting off and leaving a loose fuel line burning the bike down, it made me think. The best solution short of replacing the intake seems to be to plan for the worst and add some steel holding the carb in place to the frame at the top of the carb, so that even if it did blow the intake to bits, the carb couldn't go anywhere and would stay attached to the frame and fuel line. Am I missing anything with that plan?

Oh, and maybe a spare set of underwear under the seat too, just in case. :)

I was already debating putting support at the top of the carb to act as my ground and keep it more steady anyway. No problem.

I seem to have an issue with this carb though, might need a new one. No matter what it wants to leak at an angle, even with a low fuel level in the bowl. It's coming out the arm in the top of the carb that's aluminum and part of the carb body, not the accelerator pump removable arm. If anyone has an idea why it would do that let me know. I already cleaned and rebuilt it with a kit from Napa, and it looks spotless and works other than the leak off level.

@83gL, what carb are you running on your setup? If its the EMPI variant, the brand new one that was sent to me just was a complete hulking pile. I offered to let a friend try it on his dune buggy, and he would pay me if it worked. Well it was crap on there too, since I was bullheaded and went beyond the return time frame on FleaBay, its scrap yard bound and written off as lesson learned. I should have done a lot more reading before jumping into a bad deal feet first.

The other lesson I learned was pay attention to these guys, they are sharp people and they know this bike. Thank heavans JoeDrum asked me to check this place out.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124153#p124153:13okam32 said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:11 am[/url]":13okam32]
@83gL, what carb are you running on your setup? If its the EMPI variant, the brand new one that was sent to me just was a complete hulking pile. I offered to let a friend try it on his dune buggy, and he would pay me if it worked. Well it was crap on there too, since I was bullheaded and went beyond the return time frame on FleaBay, its scrap yard bound and written off as lesson learned. I should have done a lot more reading before jumping into a bad deal feet first.

The other lesson I learned was pay attention to these guys, they are sharp people and they know this bike. Thank heavans JoeDrum asked me to check this place out.

Yes its an empi unfortunately. I bought it used, it had worked for someone before me so I thought a good cleaning and rebuild kit would be OK. I only paid $40 for it and a rebuild kit so at least I didn't loose a lot of money on it.

The sad thing is that its working beautifully, aside from that leaking issue. Runs awesome now after my second cleaning attempt on it. I may need a new float and inlet valve. The new inlet valve is crap, its from a Napa rebuild kit but I can see it sticks occasionally, and the float may have a slight depreesion where it contacts the valve stem.

Do you still have the empi of yours? I might want to buy it for parts just to try your float and fuel inlet valve if you want to let it go cheap enough, or I'll probably have to pony up for a rebuilt soles which I can't afford right now. If I have to buy a solex the bike will have to just wait.

It runs so good its just a shame I might have to give up on it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124179#p124179:3o1pfte8 said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 pm[/url]":3o1pfte8]
I just sold it this afternoon. Its a Pict 34 for the Type 3. But yea, I just sold it a few hours ago.
Did it come with instructions? I found fuel level measurement for solex, but I'm not sure the empi is supposed to be the same or uses the same thickness washer for the fuel inlet valve.

I was told you can use the Solex or Bocor specs on it, its a clone of the Solex. Oh and if you have to jet it, Mikuni Carb jets work (the main jet that is).

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124217#p124217:26q9btfh said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm[/url]":26q9btfh]
I was told you can use the Solex or Bocor specs on it, its a clone of the Solex. Oh and if you have to jet it, Mikuni Carb jets work (the main jet that is).
The rebuild kit came with insufficient one page instructions, and parts for three different model number carbs the kit fits so it wasnt clear, thanks.

Its a shame the kits are packaged this way, I could have done without all the different gaskets that don't fit 34\3's and they could have included the float. It didn't even have a new fuel mixture adjustment needle in the kit, just a oring for the old one. What a waste... Thanks Napa...