single or double carb conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Been thinking of going to randakk dual carbs but also considering the single carb conversion. already rebuilt my originals, and had it piss gas on the right, found the problem, tiny O ring that didn't come with the kits. started it up this year after storage, and it started pissing gas from the left side somewhere, so its time to just make it easier on myself. what would be the downfall of either or both?

The randakks dual carb systems looks the coolest, but is a bit spendy. The single carb guys rave about their systems, as long as you can solve the icing issue. That said, I have a new vw manifold, a new empi pict34 carb, and a new carter/weber 2 bbl carb that I am looking to trade for a stock rack of '83 goldwing carbs...

The randakks dual carb systems looks the coolest, but is a bit spendy. The single carb guys rave about their systems, as long as you can solve the icing issue. That said, I have a new vw manifold, a new empi pict34 carb, and a new carter/weber 2 bbl carb that I am looking to trade for a stock rack of '83 goldwing carbs...
what icing issue? only issue i have heard in the past is that you loose HP by going down to a single carb.

I vote for the single carb setup. I did the 34 PICT 3 on my '75 wing and I am very happy with the performance. It might not be as fast as it was when it was new, but I'm not as fast as I was 46 years ago. I have not experienced "carburetor icing" but I do live and ride in Texas. The manifold runners get pretty cold, I have not measured the temp, it hasn't presented a problem. The hardest part was dialing in the carb to get it to idle. You need to be smarter than the carburetor to get this correct. And one size does not fit all, so my setup is probably different than what you'll have when finished.

There's a lot of helpful information and people on this website. I probably spent less than $200 to make the change.

Good luck, Bud...

BTW - make sure to turn the gas off when it's not running - it will flood big time.

I run a 34pict3 on my 1600 dual port vw engine in the trike. My carb heat tube got obstructed by carbon which resulted in carb icing in summer heat. Took awhile to figure that one out. Engine would stall as soon as I let off the gas, would restart easily

Ask Joedrum about loosing HP by going single carb. 🤣
Lol Dave ...there's no doubt stock carbs and single carbs are a problem to get right ...heat is a bandaid to a carb that won't dial in good ...or basically a rich carb ..if the carb is dial in good icing will be a issue on a oldwIng the runners are not that long ...but where runners get longer icing becomes a bigger issue ...everything is math ...in fla where humidity is 100% and temp is 100 degrees icing can happen in stock carbs especially crappy ones running rich and no mpg...but a dial in progressive 2Barrel like hooch has can get hi 40s mpg ..biggest factor in both stock single and even FI is what the air is ..almost 85% of the gas charge make up ...I like the one post eventually you have to get smarter than the carb lol...one of the biggest problems of oldwing motor timing was set up lean and no adjustment ...1100s can be rigged up to change ...so lots going against you with single carbs or stock now that motors are wore and gas is crap

Lol Dave ...there's no doubt stock carbs and single carbs are a problem to get right ...heat is a bandaid to a carb that won't dial in good ...or basically a rich carb ..if the carb is dial in good icing will be a issue on a oldwIng the runners are not that long ...but where runners get longer icing becomes a bigger issue ...everything is math ...in fla where humidity is 100% and temp is 100 degrees icing can happen in stock carbs especially crappy ones running rich and no mpg...but a dial in progressive 2Barrel like hooch has can get hi 40s mpg ..biggest factor in both stock single and even FI is what the air is ..almost 85% of the gas charge make up ...I like the one post eventually you have to get smarter than the carb lol...one of the biggest problems of oldwing motor timing was set up lean and no adjustment ...1100s can be rigged up to change ...so lots going against you with single carbs or stock now that motors are wore and gas is crap
Can't figure out how to edit ..icing will not be a issie