Slabghost (Vince’s) wife

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is about 5 hours or so for me as well, and I have made a single delivery to Wintersville before almost a year ago so it is one of our shipping lanes too, so possibilities. Donna and I could ride out there on the Greybird or Winger too. But possibilities are available and I have a strong back and general strength.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208754#p208754:1hrj683b said:
K7TKA » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:12 am[/url]":1hrj683b]
As a former Valkyrie owner I know of one thing that isn't obvious. The choke appears to be fully on after pushing it down but in reality it will move further with more force on the lever. The first stop just takes up the tension in the cable. At this point the choke isn't on yet so the bike doesn't want to start (in cold weather). Pushing it on the rest of the way activates the choke. This should help getting that one running.

Thanks for that tip!...the Valk is running. The battery was still fully charged & it fired up with no problems. I got it out of the way so the two pickup trucks can be removed. Her nephew had installed the fuel pump in the car and it was also in the way and I got it running and moved...it will need a new exhaust, which she can't afford right now. We matched up titles to the bikes and found that we're missing a couple of titles...she's going to continue looking for them. I think that once the trucks are out from under the carport I'll try to get the 1200 Standard running and up to the carport. There are four bikes in the lower shed...it's all uphill from the shed to the house and there's no way I'm getting a bike up there except under it's own power. Speaking of power, there's none in the shed. Fortunately there are several brand new batteries in the parts pile. I had a better look in the boxes in the shed and found a few items. There's a set of engine guards that look like the ones on my 83...in really nice shape. there is also a pair of cams which I think to be 1000 cams. Unfortunately there's rust right on the top of a few lobes... Is it worth trying to clean them up to see if there's no pitting or are they toast? I got better pictures of the C5 ignition and will post something in the Want Ads later.

Hanni is seems to be holding up well...that's one tough little woman there. I wish I could spend more time there but as the weather gets better I'll have things i need to do around here. Going back in 3 weeks.

I'm going back again on Sunday. The next thing I need to do is get the 1200 down in the shed running and up near the house....actually, BOTH 1200's. Both have no pressure in the hydraulic clutch. I have an 1100 so have no experience with bleeding a clutch. How/where do I bleed the clutch hydraulic system?

It’s all rather easy it’s downhill to the slave cylinder on clutch .....at least on mine it was ...there a bleeder at the clutch to use and work air out but it seems most of the air comes out right at the master cylinder working the handle back and forth ...hardest part most times is getting the screws out f the cover on the master cylinder LOL

The bleeder valve is down on the clutch slave cylinder. It can be a 2 person job unless you have a hand vacuum pump. Remember, Dot4 brake fluid can mar old paint jobs.

Clean the clutch master cylinder reservoir as best you can and fill with fresh Dot4 brake fluid.
Pump the master cylinder a couple of times, then crack the bleeder valve while keeping the clutch depressed. Repeat until you get fresh fluid at the bleeder.

With a hand vacuum pump, attach it to the bleeder valve, build some vacuum and open the valve slightly. Keep the reservoir full as you go.

Once you get fresh fluid at the bleeder, close the valve and pump the master cylinder a couple of times. You should have a firm clutch. If not, you may need to loosen the banjo bolt at the master cylinder while keeping the clutch lever depressed. That will allow any air at the banjo bolt to escape.

^^^ Yes, yes! To the wise ones you should listen! Their advice is sound, and their knowledge is deep!

They're both right.

Keep up the great work, man. Such work never goes unnoticed!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

And if you have a vacuum cylinder with that hand pump, suck all of the old fluid out of the reservoir and clean the muck out of it with clean paper towls, put in new fluid, suck out again, refill.

Yes with it being so downhill like it is ..with the cover off it will drain out the slave cylinder with the bleeder open there ...that what it did for me ...and then put in new ..

So sorry to read about Vince's passing. :shock:
Never met the man, spoke to him on the phone.
Seemed to be a very pleasant sort of guy.
That was still working to make ends meet.
The slave cylinder if original, will need to be rebuilt, or you may never get it bled.

I really don't want to resurrect this thread, but is everything going well? The situation as a whole is rather grim, but I hope Slab's wife is being helped out through this hard time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209815#p209815:3hvln4j7 said:
Daeouse » Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm[/url]":3hvln4j7]
I really don't want to resurrect this thread, but is everything going well? The situation as a whole is rather grim, but I hope Slab's wife is being helped out through this hard time.

This started out as "Can someone help a lady sell off some parts and bikes". Not anymore....I'm now helping a friend...and am in for the long run. She gets depressed but I can make her smile...but I'm not there all that often. I've been there six or seven times so far. I really care about Hanni and I'm going to do anything and everything to keep her going. Her car is running....barely. Needs tires and exhaust but it will get her out the road to the store. Now, her refrigerator quit working. I have a little square fridge that I used to keep beer in that will be going to her on my next trip. Fortunately my wife is very understanding...Hanni was worried that my helping her would cause me problems at home....I think I have her convinced that is not the case. Her nephew that was helping her has gone back to Germany...

She still can't do anything with any vehicles in Vince's name but a friend of mine is supposed to buy an old Kaw that he needs for a race bike he's building. Only a couple of hundred bucks but at least it's something (the C5 ignition just sold too)

I didn't want to keep posting to this thread every time I went there...I don't want anyone to think that I'm looking for a pat on the back or something. Thanks for your concern and I'll post an update anytime someone asks. The 1200 Standard still has your name on it if things work out when I get it running. My next motorcycle project is to get a couple that are not in Vince's name sold.

I heartily agree that it should not become a post like that, rather, it’s a wonderful post to show the great heart of someone who wants to help a person who is desperately in need. I’m glad that she’s getting help, it’s so sad to hear she’s having such trouble so soon after Vince’s death. I really hope that things start to get better. I can wait on the 1200, until things settle down. I will be happy to pay to help out, when it’s needed. All things in time, to good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanni is fine. We text each other each and every day...I go there and visit at least every other week. She's doing much better than when I first started going there. The estate is just about settled and she got the titles of the best bikes put in her name so they can be sold when the weather breaks.

Latest posts