Snow in Vegas?...near wreck update 12/11/09

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My lady has been a real trooper riding to work all summer. About a year ago we bought a car we couldn't afford like half the country and lost it, so old girlfriend had to step up and take us everywhere. Anyway I'm one day short of beating the bad weather here...it's going to snow in the valley today(happens every 7-8 years here) plus rain all week. I'm a confident rider in weather like this, but Janet shouldn't have to ride in it if she doesn't want to.

We found a nice 97 Cutlass Supreme SL 60K miles. 2K down, 2K @ 0%. I think it was meant to be, about a month ago I screwed up a deal for another car, and looking back I believe I did it subconsciencly on purpose. This deal is much better, and the car is better.

While doing the regular purchase BS w/ the lot manager, we found out we(Janet and I are nurses) took care of the manager's mother in-law when she broke her knee. She one of our most favorite and memorable patients. The guys wife calls while we are there and confirms our story, the lady said "OMG, she still talks about them(us) all the time." Anyway, that kinda sealed the deal, Vincent told us after ending the call with his wife, that he wanted to redo the deal. That's how we got the 0% on the second half of the purchase price.

My wife will occasionally say "why does this stuff happen to us we are good people that help other good people?" I think some of that good Karma is finally coming back to us. :)

~O~

Good deal, O-Man! :clapping: Gotta have a cager for the bad weather, no matter where ya live! Good to hear you didn't take a dunkin on the deal! :salute:

Couple of things on the car to watch for...
The intake has a tendency to leak coolant between the intake and the head(s).
Make sure to keep an eye on the trans fluid....mucho $$$$ to repair one of them. That's the first year for the 4T40/45E trans. Ain't got no dipstick to check the fluid...it has to be done from underneath by removing a pipe-plug, and checking to see if any fluid runs out... :Awe:

Have fun, and stay warm in it!(both of ya!)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: 0% Thats Great :music:
It would be nice to have a back up car, All i have to get me around is my wing, My truck bit the dust about 14 months ago

AApple":2kvgohva said:
Make sure to keep an eye on the trans fluid....mucho $$$$ to repair one of them. That's the first year for the 4T40/45E trans. Ain't got no dipstick to check the fluid...it has to be done from underneath by removing a pipe-plug, and checking to see if any fluid runs out.
o_O say what? Is this the 6cyl 4dr sedan?

~O~

I think that is soo stupid when they dont put a dipstick in a car for the tranny fluid, My neighbor's satern is that way

BigAndrew":3e5kakdq said:
I think that is soo stupid when they dont put a dipstick in a car for the tranny fluid, My neighbor's satern is that way

You kidding!

That's almost as bad as no engine oil dipstick!
Maybe they have a tiny sight glass with a wiper :smilie_happy:

Is there a way to add one?

dan filipi":2pjekqtg said:
You kidding! That's almost as bad as no engine oil dipstick!
Maybe they have a tiny sight glass with a wiper

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I know right? That sounds vaguely familiar.... Hmmmm.... :salute:

This car has the 4T60E(same problem?), but I found stuff about the intake gasket material failing when the recommended dex(sunmthin) is used. I also found nothing but rave reviews on Consumer Reports. :grin:

~O~

We got the car! Almost killed myself! :smilie_happy:

I was riding back to the dealer with my new insurance card for the car. It was all my fault because I forgot two things here in Vegas the fluids puked out of innumerable cars during the dry summer months and get baked(literally) into the asphalt. This means it takes a while for the oils to rise to the surface when it rains. Secondly, don't get careless in weather. Now I really was babying the bike as I ran around town getting everything I needed to pick up the new "to us" car. So I'm on the road in the rain for about 2 hours takin care of business. The crud I forgot about(and were not talking the regular stuff) was rising. I had one more right turn to get to my destination...

The crud is the worst at lights cause the cars sit and puke. Well, I was going to fast(20-something?) when I down shifted, and the rear tire started hydroplaning. Nothing worked to slow me down, mind you I really wasn't going fast and this was a weird slow motion slide. I had straight line control but couldn't stop the momentum. Oh, where did I slide? Right into an 8 lane intersection on Boulder HWY. I slid straight across the first 4 lanes, I had too. I was going to lay her down but the intersection was cycling through the left-turn lanes and the intersection was empty so I went for it. Looking to my right I locked eyes with a State Trooper. I pointed in the direction I was going to the trooper thinking maybe I could talk myself out of a serious moving violation. That was when the rear tire grabbed and I coasted across the other four lanes. The trooper never turned around.

I was only scared during that millisecond when I thought I had to lay my baby down, all that work, possibly not getting my wife the car she has deserved... As soon as I realized the intersection was empty, I was just plain embarrassed, waiting for the slide to end. :oops:

~O~

Damn! Glad your OK!

I have a 3/4 ton work van with good tires. Usually it wont slide at all because I have it loaded to more like 4 tons worth of stuff. Today I had to make sort of a quick stop at an intersection and she started to slide.
I couldnt believe it, that thing never slides!
So yeah, I stay off the bike in the rain 'round these parts.

So......how's the car?

The GM 3.1 is a good moter,but yes,suffers from the same plastic intake gasket issues.
It is a matter of when not if,reguardless of maintaince.
Dont let it get you down though,everything has an akilies heel so to speak,and thats not all tha bad of one.

The aftermarket has solved the problem with a metal laminate gasket,ie felpros ms98003t,once its fixed right,its fixed.

The 3.1 is in most reguards a nice easy engine to maintain.And very commen.

And yes,just keep up the preventitive maintance on the trans,that goes for any car nowdays,they dont make em like they used to.

The cutlass is a very reasonable car.

Omega Man":2lvifhd7 said:
This car has the 4T60E(same problem?), but I found stuff about the intake gasket material failing when the recommended dex(sunmthin) is used. I also found nothing but rave reviews on Consumer Reports. :grin:

~O~

:read: Yer right...I didn't pay any attention to the model...just "Cutlass". The SL does have the 4T60E...the Cutlass(2.4-3.1) and the Cutlass GLS(also 2.4-3.1) both have the 4T40E.
doh.gif

The 4T60E trans does have a normal dipping stick. It's a decent trans...has more electrical problems(harness/solenoids) than anything else.
Drive and enjoy! :salute:

I had to use the same intersection today, and I think I found the problem...

In the same lane where I remember the slide starting, there is large manhole cover :? . I think I tried to down shift as I was riding over it. I just couldn't understand why the slide started...I was being so careful.

~O~