Southern fried

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1987 Aspencade
About 2 weeks ago I bought a 1987 Aspencade. It had several add one, non factory but almost positively dealer, that I quickly removed. This dropped my weight by a good bit but had to drastically dropped load on my electrical system. I've read quite a bit about the problems people have & fixes & or conversions. Either way, it started running pretty bad. A quick inspection showed a cut in fuel line coming from petcock to filter. I went to Napa, got the filter, hose & all & drove it home. Cut it off & started replacement of fuel parts. After I was done I cleaned the spark plugs & put em back in. It started to rain so I covered the bike, waited for it to pass & went back at it. I wanted the fuel pump to get fuel so I switched the kill switch to off & turned it over to feed fuel through the lines. I stopped, flipped kill to run & nothing. Not even a noise. I thought it was the solenoid but that proved wrong. So, turns out the ignition fuse was blown. I replaced that, had to charge my battery & upon trying to fire it again, it blew that fuse also. It got wet during that rain but not soaked. Although I've only had it about 2 weeks, It's done pretty well to this point. I'm at a standstill as I've no experience with the electrical systems. Anyone got any ideas?

Welcome,you darn sure have a short sonewhere.try tracing back from the fuse and see if that leads you to something.

Yes. Thanks for the info. I did figure it out. Someone, at some time in the past, wired a "new" plug. On mine, in the left side of fairing, connects everything for the dash. The CB & radio had all been pulled prior to my buying it. The left front fork seal is also bad. The bottom portion of my fairings, gone. Evidently fork oil worked it's way into the plugs connections, grounding it out. Fried a 22 pin connection there, the one that had been previously replaced.
As I sit here writing out parts lists for this, the trip down the rabbit hole begins.

Latest posts