speedometer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
I have a resurrected 81 GL1100 finally have it up and running have put the first 200 miles on it. The speedometer took a dump started bouncing around and then stopped at Zero not even driving the odometer. Cable is good, drove speedometer with a drill and nothing happens. Is there a way to resurrect these. The other question is can I use a speedometer off of say a 750 will they work. Flee bay currently only has 2 speedometers listed for GL1100 and the asking price is way high.

Thanks for the info on which ones I can use. I was able to open up the speedometer and soak the bottom half in MMO over night just enough to cover the input shaft. In the morning was able to get the drive to start turning worked it for awhile and it seem to be loose for low will see if it lasts. If not I should be able to find some not online. Again thanks for the link.

Take it apart and see how it works, or how it isn't working. If you are already committed to replacing it, you have nothing to lose by investigating, lol!

Well just did a 50 mile run at 75 to 85, that just barely keeps up with traffic here in TX, Speedometer and Tach both ran solid and smooth the whole run. Temp gage on the other hand need to trouble shoot went from 3/4 to 0 just after the turn around point, fuel gage working just fine so 7v thing is working, hopefully just a loose wire.

Apparently when I put the cooling system back together after replacing the radiator, thermostat and the connecting tube o rings I disconnected the darn wire for the temp sensor it was not snapped onto the sensor just hanging there.