Still here....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
like it or not. :whistling: Haven't really been on-line much anywhere lately. Even without working, I've been staying busy.
I been without a job since the shop changed hands a few weeks back. I take some solace in knowing the tweeker they hired to replace me only lasted 2-3 days. :smilie_happy:
Took my paid week o vacation, and an extra week just for fun. Now comes the joy of relocating to.....somewhere. The shop I thought I had a done deal at is draggin their feet getting rid of the guy they have now. Kinda sux, since I was really planning on goin right to work after vacation.
In the meantime, I been fartin around with the 'Burban. I bought this thing in '98, and the electric driver side front winder has NEVER worked, so I decided to dig into it and see could I fix it. After only an hour(or 3) or so, I get the glass, and regulator/motor out. After dis-assembling the motor, I finally find that the contacts on the brush holder weren't making good contact, so a little cleaning, and soldering took care of it. Then some oil/grease on the rollers & regulator, and it's all good now. For the first time in the 17 years I've owned it, the driver's window WORKS! :builder:
Next day, I figured I'd check into why the A/C dint seem to have much airflow thru the vents. I knew at least one of the ducts wasn't seating properly, since I had to remove it to get to the ignition switch. So.....what I figured might be a couple hour deal turned into two days of WERK! This is a custom truck, built by Starcraft Coachworks, and along with a bunch of neat lighting, real wood accents everywhere, Captain's chairs, and paint, it has a full wood center console, complete with a small cooler, and a "hidden" compartment that I installed a 12 disc CD changer in. I also installed a sweet remote control Alpine stereo in the console at the same time(years ago). I figured I could remove the console, and then have room to dig up under the dash to fix the A/C problems....NOT. Dang thing will not move. After a couple of hours of cussin, and trying to figure out how it is attached, I gave up.
I wound up taking the entire dash assy out, all the HVAC ductwork, etc. One of the diverter doors wasn't operating properly due to a broken plastic piece from the vacuum actuator, and another door had actually broken loose from it's hinge/pivot. The A/C was basically only blowing out the heater vents on the floor. A little plastic welding, and some other "caveman" rigging got both doors in operating condition, BUT....there was something wrong with the vacuum signals. In order to get the air to blow out the upper vents, I had to put the control on "Defrost". A little more sleuthing determined that two of the vacuum lines were crossed on the actuator that controlled the heat/AC door. Don't know how it happened, but it's been like this since I've had the truck....I have to assume it was a factory screw-up. Of course, these vacuum lines were on the back side of the dang HVAC plenum, where you can't see them, and I could barely get my fat hands up in there. I did finally get both of them un-hooked, and re-installed on the proper fittings. Then I sealed up all of the joints with new foam, and a couple of screws just to make sure it all stayed in place. Now I have full A/C airflow coming out of the upper vents, as it should. Another problem solved.
I still have a few more things I wanna do, just to take care of some stuff that has been bugging me from day one, but....the back of it is completely full of stuff from work. For now, I've done aboot all I can, other than getting it buffed out. It's been sitting outside for so long the paint is pretty dulled. It will buff out tho..I've already done a few small areas, and I have a good friend that will do it for me....he's a painter/detail guy by trade....and he owes me. :hihihi:

I DID get out this mernin and cleaned the 'Wing up. Cleaned and some wax. Other than that, it hasn't been even started since my exodus from "that place which shall remain nameless".
That's my story, an I'm stickin wid it.... :BigGrin:

Sounds like you opened up a can of worms there, glad you got it sorted..fixing to open up my own can when I have to strip down my 4 banger to do all freeze plugs,cam seal,injector pump seals..pretty much strip it to the block without taking the engine out..trying to figure out what can go wrong so I have everything ready for the worse case.
Whatt ever happened with that broken stud?

mcgovern61":41oao9ud said:
Glad to hear from ya Joel, BUT............ :useless: :smilie_happy:

Here's yer pic, Gerry...
funny-animals-sticking-tongues-14.jpg

:smilie_happy:

zman":41oao9ud said:
What ever happened with that broken stud?

Took care of that a while back... :good:

Good you are putting your extended (vacation) to good use. I'm sure you are much happier with the truck now. It took two years for me to get around to replacing the heater core in my truck. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156345#p156345:30tjx2fo said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am[/url]":30tjx2fo]
You weren't around? :?
I was around. I drove it daily. It just didn't make it high enough on my priority list for a couple years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156351#p156351:133kul4w said:
slabghost » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am[/url]":133kul4w]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156345#p156345:133kul4w said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am[/url]":133kul4w]
You weren't around? :?
I was around. I drove it daily. It just didn't make it high enough on my priority list for a couple years.

:hihihi: yeah, I were talking to Joel.

Latest posts