Stripped threads on R head where fuel pump attaches...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get this fix out there if anyone accidentally strips the threads in the head like I did. :Awe: I went over to vegaswingnut's(George) place and he came up with an idea. Because the bolt would catch when the fuel pump was off, he asked if he could try grinding off some of the material on the pump flange that attaches to the head, thereby allowing the stock bolt to grab threads behind the stripped spot. It worked :clapping: and didn't compromise the integrity of lower half of the pump.

I owe him big for this, that leak was driving my nutz. Oh and Dan, he yelled at me about the tires. :eek:

~O~

That is a good fix! :salute:

I stripped the threads on two of my lower bolt holes for the left hand valve cover bolts. At first I used a cheaper thread insert that didn't work. When I threaded the bolt in, the bolt broke off in the head. I drilled the bolt and used an easy out which also broke off in the head!! :head bang:

I had to use a dremmel to grind out the bolt around the easy out and then pulled all of it out with a magnet. Finally, I re-drilled the hole and used a real helicoil which finally worked! :music:

Broken bolts and stripped threads, ah the memories..........

My last one was that lower fuel pump bolt. I did a helicoil then found out later the reason the head threads stripped in the first place is because a PO put too short of a bolt in it :head bang:

Latest posts