SUCCESS!...kinda...sorta...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
..maybe? :rolleyes: So....just for future reference...the driveshaft did NOT fall off the diff...it slid back far enough to go past the splined portion of the diff shaft. I found this out AFTER dropping the engine back down to "fix" it. :mad: Anywho...got it bolted back up, dumped new oil in it, and tried to fire it up before complete reassembly. I did manage to get a fire started on some rags. As usual, I managed to get the damn ignition rotor back on 180° out...AGAIN. Since I've managed to do that 3..4 times now, I learned the last time the easiest way to correct that is to simply swap the wiring on the ignition coils...not the plug wires, but the actual wiring to the +/- part of the coils. Much quicker than doing anything else. After that, I hit the start button, annnnd....EUREEKA! 😁 Fired right up no problem. I called it quits for the day. I'll try my best to get it all put back together next weekend, tho there is another issue I need to ponder. More on that later.

Attachments

• 20220213_145747.mp4
    26.1 MB
The "big picture" here is that The Turd is determined to break me....mentally, physically, and financially.....
So....the newest issue with the pos....I pulled the valve covers to check/retorque the heads, since the LEFT side has been puffin some steam for a minute or two after firing it off for the past year or so. Left side was a wee bit loose, so it got retorqued to the proper specs, no problem. RIGHT side however.....dint wanna play. The two center bolts were really loose. The lower center bolt tightened up fine. the upper center bolt did not...it gets somewhat snug, then cuts loose. Now...before anyone jumps out and says the threads in the block are stripped, I'll remind er-one that the last time I had the engine out I put Helicoils in ALL of the block threaded holes. I snaked my video scope down thru the bolt hole in the head, and can clearly see the Helicoil in the block, and it does not appear to be pulling out of the block. Threads on the bolt are fine too. So.....now the conumndrum. The RIGHT side has not been blowing any steam or oil at all. My decision at this point is leave it alone, or do I bite the friggin bullet AGAIN and pull the head to see wtf? Granted, now would be the time, since the damn thing is mostly apart, and pulling the head would be easier, but friggin gaskets are $60 each now, unless I get the crappy cardboard ones that are 2 for $10. Not to mention the bike would be down for even MORE time.
Fookin Turd is tryin to kill me.....🤬

If your still selling the Turd, I would not bother. Let the next owner know what you know (full disclosure) and let them determine how they want to approach it. A little surprised the bolts are not grabbing the heli-coils that well and makes me think the heli-coils are too far down the hole? Maybe, take a bolt out, add some more heli-coils and try to get a torque. Not leaking so the gasket is good right?

I like the way you think, Gerry! 😄
Helicoils were all installed at the same depth. I took a head bolt, stuck it thru the head, and measured the length of threads that went into the block, and installed the coils accordingly. I'm afeered the friggin helicoil is pulling out of the block but videoscope says it ain't. Then I thought that maybe the coil is too far down and the threads are just not catching, but....that makes even less sense. I did the helicoil thing back in 2016 iirc. Shortly after getting it running after that, I bought the 1500, and quit riding the Turd. I did pull the right side head back off and replaced it with another head I bought...because I had cracked the head around that small bolt at the bottom of the head...with a 1/4" drive ratchet! I know the head bolts all torqued down properly at that time...using a $600 digital torque wrench. I'm just really baffled at why that one bolt is not tightening down NOW. There has been NO steam from the right side...just the left. No oil mixing in with the coolant either.....I hate to try to sell it knowing there's a problem like that....but I also hate to keep spending any more time on it! 😒

I'm about half tempted to run a piece of wire down in the hole and run the bolt on in.....

I like the way you think, Gerry! 😄
Helicoils were all installed at the same depth. I took a head bolt, stuck it thru the head, and measured the length of threads that went into the block, and installed the coils accordingly. I'm afeered the friggin helicoil is pulling out of the block but videoscope says it ain't. Then I thought that maybe the coil is too far down and the threads are just not catching, but....that makes even less sense. I did the helicoil thing back in 2016 iirc. Shortly after getting it running after that, I bought the 1500, and quit riding the Turd. I did pull the right side head back off and replaced it with another head I bought...because I had cracked the head around that small bolt at the bottom of the head...with a 1/4" drive ratchet! I know the head bolts all torqued down properly at that time...using a $600 digital torque wrench. I'm just really baffled at why that one bolt is not tightening down NOW. There has been NO steam from the right side...just the left. No oil mixing in with the coolant either.....I hate to try to sell it knowing there's a problem like that....but I also hate to keep spending any more time on it! 😒

I'm about half tempted to run a piece of wire down in the hole and run the bolt on in.....
Just use lock tight on it.🙂

Can you put a mark on the coil, tighten bolt till it is loose again, then remove bolt and see if coil has turned? The loctite on the coil might be an idea, if it's turning....

pull the heli coil out. They work in cast iron ok, very marginal in softer metals. Use a TimeSert. Much better product for your application. And yes read the directions. Just my 2 cents from a guy who has worked with people who think of captin overtight as there personnel hero.

Got The Turd all back together finally.
Fired it up before all the tupperware got put back on this time. Onced I was satisfied I finished putting it all back together. Still have a few things to do yet, but for the most part it's done.