Supercharged GL1000 Build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randakk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Various
Supercharged GL1000 2.jpg
The latest project bike - Supercharged '78 GL1000 (with early style bodywork)

Attachments

• Supercharged GL1000.jpg
    Supercharged GL1000.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 835
now thats neat ...we just had a 1500 valk member join up .....with a super charged bike and a dyno vid posted ....i couldnt make to much of the vid as im on a lap top down here in florida ....but i think he said it did dyno runs of 9 something ..but also said its not real world stuff as in comparison ....not very good there have no time in stuff like that really ....hmmm seems to be a 32-36 weber on there .....

seems to me the oldwing motor is perfect for this stuff ....rather super charge or not....mines well dial in in and produces great power.....like the mount there a lot the way you have it mounted to the heat shield mounts of motor .....nice .... :good:

The goal on the GL1000 is to have the fit and finish meet the standards of our last major build ...this Honda CB1123F.

My CB1123F is basically a street-legal race bike disguised as a cafe racer. Good for an honest 145+mph. Won First Place in its class at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show.

Attachments

• Finished 2.jpg
    Finished 2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 836
And we want the functional performance to exceed the performance of my earlier supercharged GL1000 which had a "one-off" supercharged set-up.

This one will use a more commonly available 60" blower by Magnacharger.

Attachments

• RandakkSuperchargedGL1000.jpg
    RandakkSuperchargedGL1000.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 834
Another goal is to have the latest supercharged GL1000's handling approach the "slot car" handling of our CB/CL350 Sportsman road racer.

That's a tall order! :)

Attachments

• Randakk_350_large.jpg
    Randakk_350_large.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 835
hmmm thats nice to ....not sure my bike will win many contest ....but it has to be in the same same class ...im not sure how fast it will go ...but id say 145 is not out of the ? at all ...hooch is a bad dog for sure ...your bike looks like it will go ...ive dare 110 once and still not sure if i was in 3rd or forth ...i was freaked out though LOL....how bout you ..what your bail speed LOL....hmm other nice stuff ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160359#p160359:2coerw2l said:
Dusterdude » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:33 pm[/url]":2coerw2l]
That is slicker than snot

+1!!! Kewl beans!! :good:

That is a serious piece of equipment! :shock:

I can assume that it might experience a slight reduction in the normal MPG for highway riding? :hihihi:

Why spend the time and money to supercharge or turbo charge a motor such as this? Boosted intake performs best on comparatively low compression motors.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160378#p160378:u5a19lf4 said:
Denver » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:36 pm[/url]":u5a19lf4]
Because HE CAN!!!
That particular answer is a given and doesn't address the rational reasoning. With good compression already comparable performance increases should be possible. I really am curious as to why boosting intake is more attractive than other measures to increase performance.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160357#p160357:1azrv9ii said:
Randakk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:22 pm[/url]":1azrv9ii]
And we want the functional performance to exceed the performance of my earlier supercharged GL1000 which had a "one-off" supercharged set-up.

This one will use a more commonly available 60" blower by Magnacharger.
file.php

I remember seeing this bike in a few post along the way. I'm sure the new owner is very happy with this setup. What I can say now is I have an engine on the table in mock up for my 32/32 dtf. The other engine is still in the box but I now have the replacement parts all in a real low millage engine original 78 going back in my bike with the correct 771A rack also being built not by me. The 77 carburetors are going out this time round had enough of the doings of them. Besides This 77 will be all done from the frame out. A keeper in the glass case when I'm done The last GL I will ever build time to move on to something newer maybe..!! :hi:

slabghost":1ykuwmc5 said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160378#p160378:1ykuwmc5 said:
Denver » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:36 pm[/url]":1ykuwmc5]
Because HE CAN!!!
That particular answer is a given and doesn't address the rational reasoning. With good compression already comparable performance increases should be possible. I really am curious as to why boosting intake is more attractive than other measures to increase performance.
Slab,depending on the builders reasoning.a turbo/blower engine can be ran more efficiently than a purpose built naturally aspirated engine,also the blown engine will return better gas mileage as long as you keep your wrist out of the go fast range,also the blower whine gives me a woody

ok duster your right to a point ..but a naturally aspirated like a oldwing motor is present huge problems ..they have to much compression ...for a supercharger to get high performance and mpg ..the motor has to be made low compression where it is dependent on supercharger to run ...when like that they will boost big and be efficient.....but a high revving oldwing motor is none of that at all and high boost is not possible really and neither is efficientcy.....it is why i never even entertained the idea ...the whole motor has to change for it to work good ....but i could buiild one if i had the means and desire too

Latest posts