Tachometer Lag

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhughes556

Reaction score
Have a 78 GL1000. There is probably 3-5 seconds lag (maybe more) in the time for the tach to catch up with the engine revs. No idea as to its accuracy. Is the consensus that this a cable problem or a gauge problem?
Cosmetically the gauge is fine so if gauge is bad, would you try to rebuild or replace with another? Thanks...
J

cable most likely unscrew it at top and put some oil down the cable .....might have to loosen the bottom too and work the cable by hand ....check the routing for bineding or pinched .....good kuck :mrgreen:

For much shorter lag times I'd say cable. It's certainly a good idea to check and lube it first. My guess is the mechanism inside the gauge is acting up. Maybe lubing it would help. As yet I've not had one apart myself.

The works inside are gummed up, the front of the gauge has to be removed to access the innards for cleaning and lubing. The tricky part is removing the trim ring from the glass and getting it back on without destroying it. You might try working some light oil in around the driveshaft, it may help a little bit.