Tank Sealer on sending unit? Help...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repurposer

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1975 Honda GL1000
Hello out there I'm new to this forum thing and I had a question...I just cleaned the unit and put a light coy of tank sealer on everything i could get tank sealer on metal with a small paint brush but may have just barely got any on the copper will it be ok?

Yes, it will be ok. My concern is not reaching all the important points with a paint brush. Usual method is to pour the sealer in and roll or slosh it around for full coverage.

my concern would be how long the sealer actually works before i need to find a replacement tank. wishing you the best.

Thank you I only used the paintbrush on the sending unit for 2 coats avoiding sensitive areas but I dumped the rest in the tank for the sloshing process I'm using por 15

POR15 is what I used with good success on an RD400c tank. I would not use it on the sender unit, however. Not really needed, and too much risk of fowling the pivot or electrical parts.

This 75 goldwing was sitting since 91 with black varnish gas in it. The reserve line was literally clogged and both screens had literally disintegrated lol but no leaks and it's good as new now the sending unit was terrible I believe it was gone so I had to get another used one and it needed cleaned and I didn't want it to get rusty again given these units are rare to get ahold of.

Can anyone tell me by vin what fairing package may have come on this bike? As I am retiring this legend I'd like to make it as original as possible. It came with a lot of chrome luggage bars and the bracket on the front for some kind of fairing.GL1-1002877

None of the GL1000s came with factory fairing. Most of the aftermarket fairings used were Vetters. Sadly, they came with Scotchlok connectors that damaged the wiring. There are tons of these old fairings floating around. The key is finding a complete one with a good windscreen. Don't pay much - I've given several away.

I have seen the shotty electrical connections you are explaining, so then I guess that's good to know I don't need to get the extra racks chromed again. But I will need to buy a wiring harness. Thank you for your time.

Harnesses can usually be repaired. If more than a single strand is cut by the Scotchlok connector, consider a soldered splice. Heal all of the insulation wounds with liquid electrical tape.