Tech issue.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL goldwing
Thxs for having me in this gromp. Have a 1978 gl goldwing that will not start. It turns over strong battery is fully charged and spark plugs good. I just bought it. It’s very clean but wasn’t ridden much in last ten years. Have ridden it 200 miles or so but this just happened. Any ideals? Smell a little gas when trying to start it. Im sure it’s not being flooded. Thxs

Attachments

• 958632C2-DCDB-4C1D-A95B-24C4D5ADCEF1.jpeg
    958632C2-DCDB-4C1D-A95B-24C4D5ADCEF1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Do the simple stuff first. Check for good spark with the plug grounded to the case. Measure your plug caps for proper resistance. Check the kill switch! If you didn't perform any service to it yet then carbs are less likely to be the problem.
p.s. do you know the age of the belts? If not, it is advisable to change them soon.

A common prank where I used to work was to flip the kill switch on bikes parked there. Usually caused about ten seconds delay for the experienced guys, sometimes many minutes (with much out-of-sight mirth) for newbys. Those that always stoppes the engine with the kill switch were little effected, but after years needed new switches.

Latest posts