The "Cuban" Connection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking for a while about our older vintage Gold Wings, and how we are willing to work on these, and/or modify these to keep them on the road.

There have been comments on which Gold Wing year is the best, which Gold Wing to shy away from such as the FI models - '85/'86. Lots of posts about parts availability, what has been done to overcome parts issues, and many more.

The topic for this thread is the "Cuban" connection. This is apropos in that it has been long known that the vintage cars in Cuba are mechanical marvels. May look like a '57 Chev on the outside, but the power plant and other parts may not be from a Chev.

Our older Gold Wings are heading this way as well, maybe not for basic mechanical items such as bearings and such, but for more specific items such as replacing the 4 carbs with a single automotive carburetor - the SCC, replacing the 3 part alternator system with an automotive alternator driven off the crankshaft, sensors such as MAP and Gr/Gl sensors on the FI models.

To start this off, this is what I have gleaned from the various forums, may have to think of more:

Installing an external automotive alternator when the OEM three part alternator system, specifically the stator fails
Installing an automotive carburetor in place of the four OEM carbs - various reasons
Replacing the PB (MAP) sensors on the '85/'86 FI models with Suzuki MAP sensors
Replacing the Gr/Gl sensors on the '85/'86 FI models with sensors from a Dodge product
Replacing the Ns (crank) sensor on the '85/'86 FI models with one from a GL1500, or a GL1200 PG sensor harness - two sensors instead of one
Replacing the throttle body sensor (TBS) on the '85/'86 with an aftermarket TBS
Using aftermarket fuel pumps for carbureted and FI models.
Rear brake MC mod - 1800 made to fit

Going to trial a speed sensor from a 750 Honda. Same fit and wiring.

Lots of examples of how ingenious the collective is with regards to keeping our Gold Wings on the road. Chime in with what you have done, seen or heard about.

Putting this out there, it's winter, can't travel much, lots of time to think of things to do.

Cheers

Yes the Cuban connection is not just happenstance the connection is mandatory in cuba you could no longer get parts as it is with oldwings ..pretty much

Corporate policies and EPA MANDATES made some of the dumbest engineering ever to be made ...and unfortunitly oldwings were caught up in some of the dumbest ever. 4 pack carbs that were design to run so lean you had to have cut off valves and rediculous timing setups and mandates that prevented adjustment ..throttles that worked on vacuum with no way to adjust ad motors changed from use ..very poor set up.ignition that could not be adjusted or tuned ..the number one reason people can't get SCC to work ..it one thing to be able to dial a carb but if you can't dial in your timing to match cam and all your left with half the game you can't do ..same with FI models it's like as far I know impossible to set up a custom FI cause you have access to timing ..SCC fairs a bit better the basic oldwing motor is killer but everything around it is non adjustable can't get it no more junk..I know this personally cause I know if it wasn't for the c5 ignition my bike would not perform like it dose it has a custom timing that's set up to make it run with crotch rockets pass the capability of its clutch set up ..I'm not worried about bikes with turbo or super chargers if the timing is stock it's not going to run at its best . so yes I agree there many things the oldwing people do to get crazy engineering altinator being huge one shocks and tire sizes ..air shocks and weak springs were not a good idea either but the death of the c5 ignition was the biggest blow ever and the fact it was not adaped to later models very well ..anyway this device demise keeps oldwings in a marrow window of not being able to modern up like thete capable of ...I'm also ask how I get my SCC to perform its because I have adjustment control in the full game of things not just carb . great subject Ernest ...the CUBAM. Connection

I've used an aftermarket fuel pump and an '86 SEi - worked fine. Also added Ford TFI modules on my '79 GL1000 to eliminate point arcing wear. Worked fine until the regulator failed and dumped 17.8 volts onto the buss. They would work for abut five miles, then begin to act erratically. I replaced the regulator and rectifier with a cheap aftermarket reg/rec combo and it is working great. Switching back to the TFIs again for this riding season. Also made my own GL1000 side cover hinge pins using nails with the points cut off and holes drilled for the cotters.

I haven't had to make any "cuban" type changes beyond putting a cb750 starter solenoid on my wing. But years ago I bought a parts list on cd from a compny called Zedder. It is a database of honda parts and models for all hondas from mid 60's to 80's or 90's (i forget). You can look up a part number on any honda included and the list will show all the honda models and years that used the same part. I haven't had to use it much yet, but it is pretty neat.

Latest posts