The Slug Will be On The Market - Spring 2019 (2020) (2021)..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress! Stripping down to swap out the triple tree, steering head bearings and wire harness.

image.php

Making a mess along the way:

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215392#p215392:1awmfc9b said:
julimike54 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:07 am[/url]":1awmfc9b]
Don't forget where all that goes...... :BigGrin:
Yep! The great thing about taking her apart is that I have done it before and it is always a pleasure to dig deep into the bike and see that past work has held up!

image.php

image.php

Alright, I cleared the table a bit.

image.php

Front end off, steering head bearings and races pulled, rotors pulled and parts cleanup underway.

image.php

Wow, look how much meat is still on these front brake pads! 13,400 miles on those pads. Kevlar organic pads from Sixity on Ebay. Well worth it in my opinion!

image.php

New Steering head bearings from All Balls going in.

image.php

With all of the work done over the years swapping from this frame to that part, it is good to check and make sure this is an '82. :smilie_happy:

image.php

Man, how sad is this. Look at the miles ridden since 2016. The poor girl was barely on the road. (Darn knee surgeries and herniated discs).

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215462#p215462:1k2nd904 said:
mcgovern61 » January 28th, 2020, 8:17 am[/url]":1k2nd904]
Wow, look how much meat is still on these front brake pads! 13,400 miles on those pads. Kevlar organic pads from Sixity on Ebay. Well worth it in my opinion!

image.php

I am really enjoying modern organic brake pads. Haven't had a problem with my cheap organic pads either.

In another thread I mentioned that the original paint color is not available. Well, I decided to start prepping the parts anyway. The front fender is original to the bike. The tank and side covers are not. I started paint stripping and the front fender paint that I did came right off and a second coat of stripper took the balance of the original paint off down to the original unpainted grey plastic.

The tank is a different story! 3 coats of stripper and I am barely making any progress. By the 3rd coat of stripper, at least the gas cover section and main flap started to let go of their paint. Lo and behold, there are more colors underneath!

Way back in 2007, I bought a wrecked '81 1100 for the working engine since the original '82 engine was seized (and blown). The '81 had lots of goodies on it:

image.php

image.php

image.php

I didn't know it at the time, but even though the owner was selling it as a "Standard", it was actually originally an '81 Interstate. The paint was a nice glossy black. My '82 was also a form of black so I took the better painted parts off and installed them on the '82.

Now that I am stripping the paint, I have discovered bondo and the original color of the '81. It was a Wineberry Red! Looks like I am going to be doing a lot of sanding since the black he used is not coming off to easily with stripper alone.

I am working on getting the engine repainted, but New Jersey is not going to be opening up the Motor Vehicle Commission offices for Title transfers until after May 29 at the earliest, maybe even later. So....it looks like I cannot put her up for sale and make a Title change until at least June. :cheeky:

Well, it gives me more time to polish her up and get ready for the market.

NJ MVC is finally open! I can officially sell the bike and transfer the title! :party:

Some pics for the for sale ad. She is being sold (hopefully) with her tag a long trailer:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Poor girl didn't sell last fall (on the market too late). She will be back on again next spring (pending Covid again!!!!)

Poor girl is just sitting in the garage with a battery tender waiting for something to happen. I spin her up and run her once a week so that gas won't get foul in the carbs and keep her lubricated and sealed.

All projects are caught up and she just needs a rider!

SOLD!!! :yahoo: :party: :yes: :Egyptian: :music2: :clapping:

Going to a good home in North Jersey just west of New York! New owner is in Las Vegas right now and asked to hold her until 1st week of May.

:clapping: :party: :clapping: Congrats! Could ya sell my '81 next? lol

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221822#p221822:25unq1wj said:
AApple » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am[/url]":25unq1wj]
:clapping: :party: :clapping: Congrats! Could ya sell my '81 next? lol

Lot folks looking for classic wings right now. Good time to sell!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221819#p221819:771yfueh said:
brianinpa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:11 am[/url]":771yfueh]
Bitter sweet. Congrats
Brian, it is bittersweet for sure. The Slug has never looked better or run better. Wish my body healed better. Even short rides (less than 20 miles) cause physical pain for weeks. Now I have to try and sell the Tag A Long trailer.

I will also be selling a few of the good parts I have kept in storage on stand by for repairs.

Latest posts